Lowering a 2wd SS

After doing a search I found that the cheapest way to lower the truck is with these two parts.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.a...15&autoview=sku

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.a...15&autoview=sku

Is this correct? Also, what kind of ride can I expect? I really want the best cornering possible that I can get... Not sure if the cheapest route is the best route.

Why does no one make a complete kit for these? :mad:

i agree with Kaotik.. thats what i'm going with on mine, belltech 2" drop spindles and i'm going with the addco sway bars front and rear.

i would stay away from the rear shackles, IMO they add to much travel to the spring and allow it to flex a bit more.. which is bad for handling.

i would do the 2" drop hangers instead would cost a bit more and not an easy install but worth it.

i had the shackles on my 05 and hated them :banghead:

lucky for me my V-max had a 2" block factory, so all i did was remove the block and use shorter U-bolts to lower it 2" in the back :)

I am going to go with the leaf springs and spindles on my 06 SS its about 450 plus shipping.

I'm a little confused on what to do with my 05' VHO. Which is no different than a 2wd SS. As soon as I seen that other guy post about having 2" blocks on his 05' VHO, I quickly went out to my truck to see if that's what I had. I found that it does not have the blocks, which leaves me a bit confused.

I already have the McGaughy rear hangers and shackles. I wasn't looking for the full 3.5-4" rear drop. I read the install instructions that came with the MG hangers, and it said that you could either use the lower hole (gives a 3" drop) or upper hole (gives 4" drop).

I know for sure that I will be going with the lower hole for just the 3" rear drop. That is if you use the shackles correctly to give you a 2" drop from the shackle and a 1" drop from the hanger, netting a total of 3".

The drop really isn't my problem, it's my Caltracs. Since I'm not getting too much feed back on them, I have no idea if I will have problems using them with the MG hangers. Only one guy has posted that he had clearancing issues using them because he is using the full 4" rear drop.

Anyways, since I have not installed the rear lowering kit yet, are lowering leaf springs a better way to lower the rear of the vehicle?

I've heard in the past that using the leaf springs makes the ride too mushy, and that you cannot haul much of a load with them.

I NEED HELP!

Thanks,

Jim

I am going to go with the leaf springs and spindles on my 06 SS its about 450 plus shipping.

I'm a little confused on what to do with my 05' VHO. Which is no different than a 2wd SS. As soon as I seen that other guy post about having 2" blocks on his 05' VHO, I quickly went out to my truck to see if that's what I had. I found that it does not have the blocks, which leaves me a bit confused.

I already have the McGaughy rear hangers and shackles. I wasn't looking for the full 3.5-4" rear drop. I read the install instructions that came with the MG hangers, and it said that you could either use the lower hole (gives a 3" drop) or upper hole (gives 4" drop).

I know for sure that I will be going with the lower hole for just the 3" rear drop. That is if you use the shackles correctly to give you a 2" drop from the shackle and a 1" drop from the hanger, netting a total of 3".

The drop really isn't my problem, it's my Caltracs. Since I'm not getting too much feed back on them, I have no idea if I will have problems using them with the MG hangers. Only one guy has posted that he had clearancing issues using them because he is using the full 4" rear drop.

Anyways, since I have not installed the rear lowering kit yet, are lowering leaf springs a better way to lower the rear of the vehicle?

I've heard in the past that using the leaf springs makes the ride too mushy, and that you cannot haul much of a load with them.

I NEED HELP!

Thanks,

Jim

I have 4" Hotchkis leafs and they are not mushy at all. I am very pleased with them. The only thing that affected the ride was when I added the shackles with the leafs. I've heard mixed reviews on the beltch leafs and that's why I went with hotchkis, they are a little more money, but like I said, I am very happy with them.

Unless they offer a 2" or 3" lowering leaf, the 4" leafs will place my rear lower than my front 2" spindles.

The factory rake on ECSB VHO's and 2wd SS Silverados is only 1 to 1-1/2 inches. That is the rear being that much higher than the front. Therefore, you get the idea.

I'll check out Hotchkis.

thanks,

Jim

I've heard mixed reviews on the beltch leafs and that's why I went with hotchkis, they are a little more money, but like I said, I am very happy with them.

I have the Belltech 3" drop leafs and have no complaints at all. They are a bit stiffer, but that's to be expected. Can't beat the price at $110/ea (NorthernAutoParts)

Belltech springs are 3" drop and spindles 2" drop. I was going to add purple keys if it dd not level out.

The keys are a no no from what I've read here. They decrease your ride control and handling. I will not be wanting mine any lower than 2" in the front anyways, so the hidth adjustment will have to be done in the rear.

Jim