dB Drag Racing

Well, For those of you that do not know what dB Drag racing is, here is your chance.

dB Drag Racing Featured on Mythbusters Tonight!

Dear dB Drag Racing Affiliate,

A new episode of Mythbusters entitled "Shattering Subwoofer" airs tonight (Wednesday, Aug 16) on the Discovery Channel!

In this episode the guys ask, "Can a car stereo destroy a car with just sound?" You don't want to miss this episode. In addition to the myth, there is some great coverage of dB Drag Racing along with interviews with dB Drag Racing competitors and Wayne Harris, president of the dBDRA.

im watching it now , imo they toatally have assed this one i don't think that big ass speaker can compare to what real speakers are putting out, i know its just because they are on a budget but c'mon a home made 5-6 foot speaker attached to a diesel drive shaft.

:withstupid: WEAK - that thing was doomed from the start, they only gave it a half-assed try; I thought the same thing when I saw them use a simple bolt to hold the cone to the connecting rod (instead of a bearing), not enough rubber for the amount of excursion they were going to create, no bottom suspension for the cone (spider) - at that point it was obvious the build would totally eat itself; and not to mention only using plywood to mount the thing... Actually I hope someone else does the idea right, it would have probably held together if they created some sort of bottom suspension, not a spider but maybe a lubricated piston/sleeve arrangement... sorry, guess that's the engineer in me talking :D

Mr. P.

Really disappointed with that episode...

They can't for a minute believe that the hacked together "mechanical" woofer is capable of doing what they wanted... the ocilation was so uneven that the thing just tore itself apart. I think there was more vibration associated with the driveshaft fighting the cone than there was generated by the pulse.

at 16hz that is a phenominal amount of SPL! yes it was a half a$$ attempt, but at 161.3 dB thats very impressive!

I knew as well it would fly apart! the rubber surround just being glued? anyway, i give them props for the attempt!