stupid question... TOWING???

Posi12Bolt

I pretty sure I already know the answer to this...BUT

anyone ever used there SS to tow a gooseneck trailer?

30+ footer

I've been looking into these 2-3 car goosenecks but I've never seen anything besides a 2500HD or F250 and bigger towin them.

I'm already lookin at buyin a 2500 Duramax 4x4 Crew but I would rather not if I don't have to...

I know a regular 2 car that hooks to the tow package would be too heavy and squirly but that why I was thinkin gooseneck to distribute the weight to over the rear axle... Plus you wouldn't have to worry about hitting the cab as you would with a 5th wheel camping trailer because the neck is narrow...

:dunno::cheers:

thoughts...flames...disgusts... :thumbs:

btw... it would be dropped via belltech 2/2 w/ helper bags

As I understand it, a goose neck is a fifth wheel type hitch with a ball instead of the plate style hitch. Since fifth wheel hitches are designed for heavy duty towing, I doubt there is much available (at least that is recommended for) a light duty truck (1500 series) such as the SS. Most fifth wheel type loads would exceed the towing capacity of the SS. How heavy is your 30+ foot trailer?

Also, fifth wheel type hitches require drilling holes in the truck bed and bracketry underneath as well.

50536.jpg

I did find one interesting item, a ball type goose neck hitch that mounts in the bed and hides away when not in use

8339.jpg

http://www.hiddenhitch.com/

Most fifth wheel type loads would exceed the towing capacity of the SS.  How heavy is your 30+ foot trailer?

well the 40ft one I was looking at was 7900lbs empty...

so obviously when loaded...it would be a tank!

some figure somewhere between 30-36 ft. probably 6000+

thing is that weight would be better distributed than if it was on your tow package receiver...

pretty much figured it would do it short distances but if I wanted to drive it any significant distance probably be too dangerous :banghead:

duramax crew cab...here I come...lol :chevy:

Most fifth wheel type loads would exceed the towing capacity of the SS.  How heavy is your 30+ foot trailer?

well the 40ft one I was looking at was 7900lbs empty...

so obviously when loaded...it would be a tank!

some figure somewhere between 30-36 ft. probably 6000+

thing is that weight would be better distributed than if it was on your tow package receiver...

pretty much figured it would do it short distances but if I wanted to drive it any significant distance probably be too dangerous :banghead:

duramax crew cab...here I come...lol :chevy:

Take it from me since I have a few... You'll LOVE your duramax. I have 16' trailers hooked up to 2 of the 3 NON stop and still get tons better mileage than the SS. It's kinda sad. PLUS diesel is cheaper than premium. You cant go wrong. I have 2 03's and 1 05'. One of the 03's is a Kokiak 4500. The 05' has some serious power and torque. Let me know what you end up getting and what you think of it.

You know its bad when you have to get another car, to haul around all your cars! :D

:withstupid: The SS won't do the job. You're talking 6-7 tons of trailer, that would be a GVW of about 9 tons so loaded tongue weight would be between 1 and 1.25 tons. The SS does not have the brakes to stop something like that, won't support that kind of tongue load, and is light enough to being pushed all over the highway by the trailer. Get a 1-ton Duramax or Cummins, a crew cab so that it has the wheelbase & weight for control. Check the brakes and trans.

Mr. P. :)