06 chevy crew rear drum brake issues

slammedss

i have a 06 crew with 700 miles on it. yesterday after putting on a set of 24's i drove it around town for about 25 miles with no issues. i started home on the highway and had to stop and experienced a shake under braking. the brake pedal seems to pulsate very bad. i got out and looked over the truck and noticed a brake smell in the rear. the drums were extremely hot in the rear. these wheels were on my denali with over 15k drove on them with no issues. the denali has disk brakes on it but i have never heard of the crazy idea of the wheels causing this. i have read a few posts about another issue a guy was having but mine seems more severe. the shake is extremly bad like the rears are locking and realeasing in the rear causing wheel hop. it just makes no since that there are a ton of people with lifted trucks with large tires that basically is the same deal and they have had no issues. the dealer has it now looking at it. is there any one else with the same issue?

i have a 06 crew with 700 miles on it. yesterday after putting on a set of 24's i drove it around town for about 25 miles with no issues. i started home on the highway and had to stop and experienced a shake under braking. the brake pedal seems to pulsate very bad. i got out and looked over the truck and noticed a brake smell in the rear. the drums were extremely hot in the rear. these wheels were on my denali with over 15k drove on them with no issues. the denali has disk brakes on it but i have never heard of the crazy idea of the wheels causing this. i have read a few posts about another issue a guy was having but mine seems more severe. the shake is extremly bad like the rears are locking and realeasing in the rear causing wheel hop. it just makes no since that there are a ton of people with lifted trucks with large tires that basically is the same deal and they have had no issues. the dealer has it now looking at it. is there any one else with the same issue?

Yeah, I've has a numerous of problems with these shitty rear drum brakes. They do everything what you said. The guys with factory size wheels (17") don't seem to have these issues as much. I've driven a few demo 05' & 06' trucks, and I can notice it doing the pulsation, but it's no where near like mine with the 20's does.

i'm thinking it also has something to do with the 14 bolt rear axle as well.

Anyways, did you remove the brake clips that are on the studs in front of the drums and rotors? There should be two per hub. They are used on the assembly line to keep the rotors and drums from falling off while it's being put together.

REMOVE THESE if you haven't already. They do not work with most aftermarket wheels! If you look at the factory wheels, they have a notch built in for them so they will not interfere with the flush mounting of the wheel against the rotors or drums.

Other than that, good luck with the dealership! They and a GM rep have not yet come up with a solid fix to this day. They replaced the drums, shoes, hardware, brake booster, & checked for axle runout. Nothing helps over a week after repairs. I myself checked the runout of both axles and found little to no runout.

The only REAL fix are going back to rotors. Though it will take quite a few parts to do this.............or order you Baer Brakes drum to disc rear conversion kit that is for our trucks. It comes with everything from start to finish. You will get bigger 15" rotors and bigger calipers. Though you cannot use anything smaller than a 18" wheel. Not that your worried about that, but when you go to the track and want to use a set of smaller wheels and slicks, then you will see why there could be a problem.

Hope for the best for you. Keep me informed on what they did to try and resolve your issue. If they do something different other what mine have already done, then my truck will be going back to the dealership!

Oh by the way, my truck has been worked on by the dealership over 10 different times. How about that for you!

Jim