Front diff noise after service at dealer

I know alot of members have front diff issues but mine was only leaking. UNTIL the dealer repl the pinion seal. After they replaced the seal (which is still leaking) the diff developed the famous growling noise. This noise started about 2k miles after the seal was replaced. It is getting worse as I put more miles on it. The noise is worst at approx 50mph under light accel and is also present during decel (coasting).

Is there a crush sleve to set pinion depth that must be replaced or do most dealers mark the nut and reinstall in the same position.

My truck is now out of warranty by time but they just did the diff work 2 months ago. Thanks in advance!!

They probally didnt shim the pinion shaft properly and shanging the pinion seal. take it back to the dealer to be fixed... When mine was making the same noise mine had a bad carrier bearing, Simple fix... JAC

• 2 weeks later...

1st design 2003 frt diffs in SSS and Escalades are GARBAGE!!!!They are the same unit with different gears.

No other year diff has the bearing issues EXCEPT those 2 Vehicles in 2003 mainly

I have repaired/replaced so many of them under warranty where I work-Chevy/Caddy dealer as a tech

The bearings,be it pinion or carrier hardly make it out of warranty.The first diff service at 30k usually reveals a bunch of metal on the drain plugOOPS ITS DEAD!!!

GM has quit warranty replacement of the Escalade unit,repairs only,I havent seen a SSS needing one yet,all the ones that go there are 04-06.

1st design 2003 frt diffs in SSS and Escalades are GARBAGE!!!!They are the same unit with different gears.

No other year diff has the bearing issues EXCEPT those 2 Vehicles in 2003 mainly

I have repaired/replaced so many of them under warranty where I work-Chevy/Caddy dealer as a tech

The bearings,be it pinion or carrier hardly make it out of warranty.The first diff service at 30k usually reveals a bunch of metal on the drain plugOOPS ITS DEAD!!!

GM has quit warranty replacement of the Escalade unit,repairs only,I havent seen a SSS needing one yet,all the ones that go there are 04-06.

Hey, thanks for the input. Would they have replaced it with an updated version or would they just put in "new" junk?

It'll be the updated one-if they hold true like they did with the Escalades.The oldest one I've replaced was 3 yrs ago and it still comes in for service,has appx 86k on it now-WAAAAAY out of warranty!!

Good luck with yours,keep the fluid checked and serviced every 20-30k if you do "spirited"driving.The diff fluid change is a driveway job and the fluid is available at your local retailers.Front diff-1)15mm drain plug and a catchpan,open the fill plug too and it drains better,especially warm.

Save yourself appx 75-100 bucks over the stealers service price......

I know I work for a stealer,but I fix my own S&&t even under warranty.... :D