installing new system

dubss

ihave a 04 gmc sierra i wanna start by putting in new component speakers then a pair of subs and amp. i was told i have to run new wires or some type of new setup if i wanan replace the bose speakers because their rated at 2 ohm something like that. so b4 i purchase my component speakers do i have to do somethinng like that? anyone help me out on this.

thanx

The amplifier and speakers in the Bose system were designed and intended to be used together, if you want different component speakers then I advise you also get a quality 4-channel amp to drive them with; aftermarket speakers don't sound good on the Bose amp, also the Bose amp lowers bass gain the more you crank it up.

My suggestion/opinion, assuming you are not going to compete in stereo shows -

* use the factory Bose head unit to start, it's actually not that bad

* buy an aftermarket amplifier interface/adapter (Metro or PAC unit, allows use of an aftermarket amplifier with the Bose head unit)

* buy a 4-channel amp to run the component door speakers, 75-100W per channel is *plenty* (you can also remove the Bose amp)

* if door speakers are running more than 50W per channel then I would go to the trouble of upgrading the factory speaker wiring, make sure it's done right and wired through the molex in the door jamb

* buy a second mono class-D amp and use it to power the factory Bose console sub, it actually sounds pretty good when you put a little power to it but use good judgement and keep the gain down on the sub amp so you don't burn it up!

* when you can afford add a sub enclosure and turn the gain up on your sub amp

* if/when you go over about 1200-1500W of amplification you will need to address your alternator and primary power wiring

Those are just opinions and rough guidelines - what brand of component speakers were you thinking of installing?

Mr. P. :)