Which trans cooler would you get and why?

Which trans cooler would you get and why?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Which trans cooler would you get and why?

• 1.) tru cool 4739 with thermal bypass valve
    • 2.) B&M Cooler 70297 with thermal bypass valve
    • 3.) Other

I need the thermal bypass valve. I plan to add efans so that is why I ask which cooler. I think I read that Chase went with the tru cooler model and had efans so this was a better choice for him. I wonder if I need the B&M cooler with fan if I plan to add efans next. If you have another trans cooler you prefer list it's model number and let me know why you chose that model.

well you know my answer. but the tru cool was a good choisce for me and it fit right in. SO my vote is for the tru cool and add e fans, plus youll get some more power from the e fans if you dont already have them! i have an extra thermarl bypass , as i live in hot counrty so i didnt install it!

:withstupid: I'm considering removing the bypass on my Tru Cool as well.

Mr. P. :)

You guys are in a warmer climate. I'll have to use the bypass just to be safe even if I don't drive the ss every day. So far the tru cool is winning. I'm surprised more haven't spoken up for the B&M cooler after all the threads I have read about people using them.

well tru cool and b & m have the exact same design , so why spend more money on an identical product? plus b & m doesent make a big arse 40,000 gvw cooler. are you running a stall converter? if you are i would try it with the bypass and see where your temps are at and if it is high enough to be ok i would run it without it. my temps get as high as 175 on a 105+ day, but when i cruise and im not trying to empty the gas tank as fast as possible i usually sit around 160. im hoping when winter comes around ill be at 150 or lower.

:withstupid: I'm considering removing the bypass on my Tru Cool as well.

Mr. P. :)

You guys are in a warmer climate. I'll have to use the bypass just to be safe even if I don't drive the ss every day. So far the tru cool is winning. I'm surprised more haven't spoken up for the B&M cooler after all the threads I have read about people using them.

B&M here, like Dcarins. allows the use of threaded fittings and not barbed ones, like the idea of all hard lines w/nothing to blow off(even though I belw off one of the clip type connections on my trans :banghead: so I am thinking about different lines).

I am in MI so I think it did good this winter, I dont beat on it much till it has some temp. in the trans when it is cold.

Looks like the stock plate style. which has a built in bypass which works by giving cold fluid a big way thru and as it gets warmer and thiner, it passes thru more of the cooling area.

Search for my posts and I have posted pics.

i didn't vote, however i am using the B&M cooler, don't remember which model it was either. It does keep tranny temps under control without problems, but the thing i didn't like about it was having to find all the fittings and fabbing brackets to install it. Other than that, it was pretty easy to do and works well. all i did was cut my stock rubber tranny hoses off of the stock tranny cooler, removed the stock tranny cooler, then put the b&m in its place after moving my radix heat exhacnger below the front bumper. everything worked out great.

P1010009Medium.jpg

P1010010Medium.jpg

well tru cool and b & m have the exact same design , so why spend more money on an identical product? plus b & m doesent make a big arse 40,000 gvw cooler. are you running a stall converter? if you are i would try it with the bypass and see where your temps are at and if it is high enough to be ok i would run it without it. my temps get as high as 175  on a 105+ day, but when i cruise and im not trying to empty the gas tank as fast as possible i usually sit around 160. im hoping when winter comes around ill be at 150 or lower.

I'm adding a TBTC and zippy shift kit in 2 weeks so I'm looking to my next mod. It only seems natual to add a bigger trans cooler after adding a stall. I'll probably add the efans after the trans cooler.

• 8 months later...

I've always been a huge believer in Fluidyne. one of the things that will really seperate them from the rest is the thin fluid passages that run through the aluminum fins. it provides much better cooling from a smaller surface(instead of a line that runs across fins like used on the two mentioned above). I used 2 14000btu coolers paired with the factory cooler and eliminated the radiator altogether. also for the most part, using a quality converter in the 9-10 inch range will effictivly lower your tranny temps if your going for a higher stall. I mounted to coolers on up and down on each side of the top heat exchanger and left the factory cooler behind the heat exchanger. I set up the flow path so as the bottom heat exchanger would get the coolant from the blower first so by the time it went through the top one, it was basically ambiant temps.

All in all, i could beat on the truck all day with the 2800 stall and the tranny temps never saw above 200 degrees. trust me when i say beat, i was hammer down alot and with tow sometimes. 3 trannys in 1 month...........hehehe. its all good though.

check the link............. http://www.fluidyne.com/pl_hpaccessories.html see part number FPH-10026

• 2 weeks later...
I'm adding a TBTC and zippy shift kit in 2 weeks so I'm looking to my next mod. It only seems natual to add a bigger trans cooler after adding a stall. I'll probably add the efans after the trans cooler.

The TBTC will raise the ATF temps 20-degrees, according to BManSS; you don't need a lot of tranny cooler for that converter, you'll discover efans won't be needed. A Tru Cool without a thermostat would over cool it for sure.

Mr. P.

after i added my tbtc and shift kit recently, my temps went up a little. it stays on the second line after the 150, so i am guessing that around 180-185. i'm gunna have to put my tranny cooler in for sure.

• 5 months later...

i have the tru-cool on my truck with the PI 3000 stall and the flt stage 4 trans. I have the by pass but never put it on and if the temp goes below 50, i have a hard time getting the tranny over 110. in the city it will get warmer like 130 but that it. In the summer on like a 90 degree day i hit 160 once but never again, stays at around 150 in that temp. Might have to put the bypass on for winter....But the cooler is great, works perfect.

Brad

Archived