Dead Battery Question

cwest94

I did a search before creating this post, but couldn't find what I was looking for, so I apologize in advance if it has been brough up here before.

The battery in my truck is dead, its only been sitting for about a month since I last drove it. I've let it set before for 3 months at a time in the cold winter months and never had any problems.

Anyways, would the bumper-to-bumper warrenty cover a new one? I was just going to get a new DieHard at Sears yesterday when someone told me that it was covered.

Ya, I was going to leave that part out too of it sitting for a month. :D

But when I bought the truck, the batter was totally dead from it sitting in the show room for so long. It was funny when they had to jump start it on the showroom floor. I always wondered if that might of damaged the battery.

Should I call the chevy dealer, or just call the 800 number in the warrenty book for road side assistance?

the dealer I got the truck from is an hour and a half drive from me. :( I jump started it and drove it around last night and it seems fine now, but the green light on the batery still is not glowing.

If that green light will not glow, does that mean its done and to replace it asap?

the dealer I got the truck from is an hour and a half drive from me.  :(  I jump started it and drove it around last night and it seems fine now, but the green light on the batery still is not glowing.

If that green light will not glow, does that mean its done and to replace it asap?

The green dot is an indicator of specific gravity in the battery (the higher the specific gravity the more concentrated the electrolyte is). If after a good charge the green dot does not come back I would call it compromised. Those AC/Delco batteries are not very good IMO, they are designed to get you by the 3/36 warranty period, I had to replace mine just a couple months ago.

Related note - not charging a battery is the *worst* thing you can do to it; batteries need a constant float charge so it you rarely drive the truck you are hammering the battery's life. I also agree with you in that these trucks are brutal on a battery, there is a significant draw while the truck is parked overnight :dunno: I've parked my SS for three nights and it wouldn't turn over :mad: , when I fly I actually pop the hood in the airport parking lot and disconnect the battery. I think I'm going to put my Optima in my firebird and get a Stinger dry cell.

Mr. P.