Turbo VS Supercharger

Hey guys just wanted to get your opinion, i got an 03 SSS which is all stock cept and K&N CAI. I'm looking to put either a supercharger or turbo on it and don't know which is best. For turbo systems i've been looking at the the STS system. And for superchargers i don't know what to go with. I live in the Las Vegas area and do mostly freeway driving. I just want something that when i'm going down the freeway that when i need power i will get it. Any thoughts would be helpful

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Check out forced induction..

But if you are in the LV area.. beacuse how tight they are with smog I would defintely go with the Radix magnacharger it is 50 state approved and they will not hassle you at all out there when you go though smog.

The STS kits out there I have heard some horror stories from the guys over at LVFbodies.

I have some really tight family out there so I am out west quite a bit. I know of a couple guys out there that have the Radix setups. The procharger setups are out there as well and have little problems with smog. The procharger will give you more power up top than the magnuson with less heat soak. That is very important out there with 100 plus degree temps.

Defintely do a search on the two or check out some of the threads in the forced induction section.

I am a supporting vendor on the site and if I can answer any questions regaurding either the magnacharger radix or the Procharger systems let me know I will do the best to answer you. I also do a fair amount of turbo fabrication and custom installs.

I can provide you with either of the superchargers at the silveradoss.com package pricing if you are intrested drop me a PM

Hope that helps!

The STS will give you more power up top than either option and no heat soak :)

I know plenty of LV guys wo love their sts kits, and I am not in the business of selling superchargers or turbos :devil:

I am not doing that as a plug I am saying what I say as a fact.

I will put my personal procharger up against any turbo setup any time. Reguardless wether the turbo is remote mounted or engine mounted under the hood they heat soak. Bearings swell bushings shave and it becomes harder for the compressor section to rotate and spool. This intends shorter life.

The procharger very diffrent from vortech and Maga uses it's own self contained oil supply. With independent testing they have shown oil tempratures on a dyno and in real world condtions significantly lower than any turbo or engine oil pan fed supercharger. The unit has a very efficent design as far as the "hot side" plumbing if you will everything leaving the volute of the supercharger is oversized which allows it to alow thermal expansion to occur at high rates meaning.. your intake air temps will always be low. Furhtermore the intercoolers being supplied with the Procharger kit are some of the most efficent in the industry. I have done my own testing with the setup and I know first hand what the oil temps do to bearings on both turbos and superchargers. I have pulled maggies off that lost internal seals and I have pulled apart engines with vortech parts inside that came in when impellers exploded under heat gains.

This is not coming as a retailer or supporter of the site this is coming from my mouth from experience. I have 2 turbo trucks A blazer x and an s10 extended cab both of which I designed and hand fabricated the turbo setups for. I am running PTE turbos on both and have alot of fun with the trucks. Neither are remote mounted and both have their issues. But when I ran prochargers on the trucks in the past I saw that very issue. I know first hand how LV smog works. I built a customer a turbo blazer before that lives in henderson and he had to get the truck dirty smogged after failing for having a turbo. I have heard the same story from guys from lvFbody.

I try to give the most non biased opinion when I chime in about something when I can speak first hand from something I will and in this case that is what is being done.

That is the main diffrence between me and some of the other vendors on this site.

I own a VHO that is running some very fast numbers. I do all the work on the truck myself and Zippy assists me in tuning. I don't sit in some office somewhere just selling parts. I have only sold 3 kits in the last 5 months of sponsoring this site. To any other vendor they would have pulled the plug a long time ago. I stay here because I like this site and I do everything I can when I can to help guys out. I am not here simply plugging my name or the products. I have been scolded over on performance trucks and ls1 tech because their moderators are grown up children. That is why I don't post there anymore.

I know you may not have asked for this kind of answer berzerker.. but I felt it was about time I say something. I have been getting slammed by other people saying I am here to try and make a fast buck off this forum. I am trying to set the record straight. But provide factual information as well.

There is little or no heat soak from an STS kit because of: the design of the oil system, and 2) the placement of the big heat generating device we call a compressor. The oil system itself acts as an oil cooler and has been tested.

I set stuff on fire from using stock exhaust manifolds (plug wires melted and then the wax caught on fire), with no increase in ECT, or engine oil temp. Further, the underhood temps once I switched to suitable headers are the lowest I've seen with any hipo set up I've seen tested. Period.

Procharger's ICs *are* very good, but telling people a front mount, belt driven SC hanging off the front of your engine in the engine bay will not heat soak your engine as much as a remote mounted compressor is... questionable, to say the least. Even people who hate STS just because its an STS admit it's the best thing going in terms of heat soak.

Maybe you need to re-evaluate your "facts" if you are constantly getting feedback from folks to the effect that you seem to be trying to make a fast buck...

There is little or no heat soak from an STS kit because of: the design of the oil system, and 2) the placement of the big heat generating device we call a compressor.  The oil system itself acts as an oil cooler and has been tested.

I set stuff on fire from using stock exhaust manifolds (plug wires melted and then the wax caught on fire), with no increase in ECT, or engine oil temp.  Further, the underhood temps once I switched to suitable headers are the lowest I've seen with any hipo set up I've seen tested.  Period.

Procharger's ICs *are* very good, but telling people a front mount, belt driven SC hanging off the front of your engine in the engine bay will not heat soak your engine as much as a remote mounted compressor is... questionable, to say the least.  Even people who hate STS just because its an STS admit it's the best thing going in terms of heat soak.

Maybe you need to re-evaluate your "facts" if you are constantly getting feedback from folks to the effect that you seem to be trying to make a fast buck...

You really are getting in the ring with the wrong person when it comes to talking about going fast. First off. The fastest remote mount guys dont even show up on this forum. Furthermore the 408 truck that has an sts kit ran a tire blazing 12.70.. come on. I just ran 13.3 naturally asperated. With a stock cubed engine.

Listen you want to say I am trying to make a fast buck.. listen tell yah what I am going to PM zane and pull down my sponsorship. I am not going to offer anything for sale to anyone on this forum since you seem to think I am here as nothing but a salesman.

And when you want to put your STS up against my procharger I will tell you what.. I will drive out to the strip at Las Vegas. Boosted. From chicago with the procharger over 2000 miles.. and I will gladly hot lap against any single STS kit.

I speak from years of experience with prochargers a very long time before I was able to buy them direct from them. STS has been on the market roughly since 03 I saw their first display at sema in 03 and I was put back by how much knowledge

their salesmen lacked as well as their representitves at sema.

And so you understand where my knowlege comes from beyond hands on. I am a pofessional engineer employed by United Environmental systems based out of Glen Ellyn Il. http://www.envirounited.com/

On a regular basis I do thermographic imaging amd forensic auditing on Everything from High volume water pumps for Nuclear energy to High pressure particulate Exhausters Which are very much Large Turbos.

I am sure STS would be proud of you carrying their product for them because last time I checked they were not sponsoring this site.

No the procharger is a self contained unit. It does not actually leave the supercharger it uses 6-8 ounces of a high viscosity synthetic oil that is passed around though the internals in the blower then actually wicks the heat away though the design of the housing.. Self contained=less mess less plumbing. Also means no parts flying into your oiling system should something fail.

Listen brotha, you're the one who brought up the quick buck comment. I just said if you keep getting this feedback from different people, you need to look for the common denominator... YOU.

And so you know where I'm coming from, I ran one of the first procharger kits way back in the day when they started with the 5.0 crowd. Nothing new there man. I like 'em already. Just don't confuse that with carte blanche to spread rumors and talk smack. I like maggie's too. Doesn't change the fact that a turbo will out perform both.

Since you want to flout education, I have a bachelors, a masters, and Ph.D...

But back to anything that means anything in this conversation... You want to make the claim that STS kits are vulnerable to heat soak, and its just bullshit plain and simple. I don't care where you work or what you are trying to sell. Drive on out to LV, I'll hook you up with a few cars to "hot lap" on :)

I *might* be in a very good position to know what I'm talking about on the sts kits, since mine was installed before you joined the site and has never had a single problem (even in 100*+ weather). Further, I made 600 hp to all 4 wheels on the dyno run during which I set the spark plug wires on fire and lifted at 5300rpm... at 14 psi... on a mustang dyno... on 93 octane... with an ambient temp of 98*... Not to mention that it was tuning run and not a glory run for numbers.

Gee, I wonder why the fastest remote mount guys don't bother with this sight much... really strange ain't it, considering they all *used* to post here...

You want to promote your own products and opinions, have at it. Just don't present an obviously biased post full on inaccuracies, dumping on competitor's products, and expect not to be challenged on it. Plus, it's just not a smart way to do business.

can i interject?

alright i know CRAP about a lot of things im in this website because

1)honestly i consider a lot of people here my friends

and

2) everyone here knows a lot more then i do. so i take it as learning a lot from people who know a lot more then me.

my only reason for butting in is that there's a lot of drama happening round here and frankly i dont think we need it. you guys are buting heads and both of you know a lot (from my experience ive known berseker longer however that is not to down on the fact that revolution does not have his fair share) all im saying is that this forum should be for knowledge sharing and if you know more then another and must prove it why do we have to resort to something tht escalates it and leaves people pissed off and possible even (much worse) leave the forum. sorry i dont like to feel like a person who's jumping in to something that i serve no business in. however this is the forum, you know share ideas discussions etc.

I am a supporting vendor on the site and if I can answer any questions regaurding either the magnacharger radix or the Procharger systems let me know I will do the best to answer you. I also do a fair amount of turbo fabrication and custom installs.

I can provide you with either of the superchargers at the silveradoss.com package pricing if you are intrested drop me a PM

BTW, in a post where you are obviously acting the salesman for your company (and *rightly* so), don't try to get all high and mighty and claim you are not. Especially when you are arguing up a tree.

Now, I'm done with you on this, because you've either seen my points or you never will (or never will admit it).

I chassis dynoe'd 351 to the tires with a rough tune though full exhaust manifolds.. cats ect..

Heads and cam only put 351/388tq

:jester:

Yep... at the SS event.. we had a track day too where were yah??

Oh thats right STS guys are afraid of the dragrstrip.. you know tooo much power might break something.

Archived