Lug Torque?

Outsource

On PT.net, a GM tech posted the required torque on NBS truck lugs was 140 ft/lbs.  He gave no reference for this number, however, and knowing Steve, he's got one...

I can't remember where I saw the 85-95 lb-ft number, however I can assure you it was a credible source and it's mentioned here on the forum in an earlier post. I am confident in this number after building numerous engines for a fastener to handle 140 ft-lbs it would have to be HUGE, like 5/8" or better depending on the steel alloy used. A quick lookup in the ISO standards says a 14mm bolt made of grade 8.8 steel yeilds at 101 ft-lbs; a grade 10.9 bolt yields at 131 ft-lbs; a grade 12.9 bolt yeilds at 158 ft-lbs. And I'm positive GM would not use an aerospace fastner on a wheel lug.

Point is - torque wheel lugs to 85-95 ft-lbs. It is more important that the faces of the wheel flange and brake hub are clean, mated squarely, and torqued evenly than the actual torque spec (within reason). If you are still unsure, recheck lug nuts after 10-minutes of driving.

Mr. P.

The reason I was asking is becuase I purchased a cordless impact driver for removing the lugs. After spending a day at the track with a friend...watching him remove his rear wheels so he can put on the slicks was painful.

There's gotta be an easier way...............so I bought this: http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US...84+3966&pos=n24

Is 850 in / lbs of torque enough? He tried it on his truck and they wouldn't move, but he probably over torqued them when he put them back on.

The reason I was asking is becuase I purchased a cordless impact driver for removing the lugs.  After spending a day at the track with a friend...watching him remove his rear wheels so he can put on the slicks was painful.

There's gotta be an easier way...............so I bought this:  http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US...84+3966&pos=n24

Is 850 in / lbs of torque enough?  He tried it on his truck and they wouldn't move, but he probably over torqued them when he put them back on.

Hmm probably not. 850/12 = 70 ft-lbs. :shakehead:

The reason I was asking is becuase I purchased a cordless impact driver for removing the lugs.  After spending a day at the track with a friend...watching him remove his rear wheels so he can put on the slicks was painful.

There's gotta be an easier way...............so I bought this:  http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US...84+3966&pos=n24

Is 850 in / lbs of torque enough?  He tried it on his truck and they wouldn't move, but he probably over torqued them when he put them back on.

You got a point, P. Maybe I'll return it and get one a little more heavy duty.

I wouldn't do that at all... zip them on with a gun, then do a final tightening with a real torque wrench!

I wouldn't do that at all... zip them on with a gun, then do a final tightening with a real torque wrench!

Another good point. Thanks.