4L65E / converter breakage

Well, I finally got around to posting some pics of the "visible" debris from my unfortunate loss of my tranny / converter.

First is the metalic sludge in the bottom of my transmission pan. There was at least an 1/8 inch of this undesireable stuff. I deffinately wasn't going anywhere and the rollback was necessary :eek:

The metalic sludge was very thick, I had to scrape it out. Mostly non-magnetic, but there was some that stuck to the magnet.

102_1591.JPG

So, what do all of you tranny guru's think happened? :dunno: I wish the 80E was an easy and inexpensive swap for the AWD system. I will give the 65E another round and if it should have issues, an FLT 85E should solve it. I will miss my AWD though...

It failed. :crackup: JK. how long did you have it?

About 2200 miles. I fully understand and accept events like this. If you want a fast truck, something will give out eventually. Just part of the process...

man oh man, only 2200 miles how many wot runs?? i have had my tranny pan checked pretty continuosly and it has looked pretty good so far. let us know what exactly wtf happened, those pics looks pretty nasty , i wonder how many parts it took out with it?

Chuck will get you taken care of, K. Honestly though, with as much power as you are pounding out, it's time for an 80.

A lot of things go on in there. My last failure was caused by the sprag turning over (nothing Chuck or anyone can do about that), which then built up heat in the tranny and took out a bunch of stuff. I'm willing to bet that the hole you see isn't a cause, but a result. Get it up there to Chuck and let him dig in :)

In any case, the fact the Chuck honors his warrantee regardless of your hp level, says a lot. He'll get you back on the road.

Chuck will get you taken care of, K.  Honestly though, with as much power as you are pounding out, it's time for an 80.

A lot of things go on in there.  My last failure was caused by the sprag turning over (nothing Chuck or anyone can do about that), which then built up heat in the tranny and took out a bunch of stuff.  I'm willing to bet that the hole you see isn't a cause, but a result.  Get it up there to Chuck and let him dig in :)

In any case, the fact the Chuck honors his warrantee regardless of your hp level, says a lot.  He'll get you back on the road.

Thank you for the reply Eric. There is no doubt that the guys at FLT are the best in the business. Very few companies can hold a reputation as solid as they do and still be a profitable business. Honestly, I wouldn't expect a warranty for an item that will be put to the test above the recommended operating parameters anyway. I have plans in the near future that will require an 80E but for now, I want to have my truck back. I have only one Transmission shop for my needs and FLT will continue to have my business and my recommendation. So for the several guys that bought an FLT transmission on my recommendation, you went to the right place, no doubt about it!

Man for spending over $3K on a tranny that lasted less than 2200 miles, you seem very confident and proud of a company who left you stranded on the side of the road! Not saying thats a bad thing, but you handle it very well... I lost a couple of trannies from some guys who built it at the dealership, and I wanted to crack their skulls open. Now that my tranny shop built me a good tranny (knock on wood) I am happy. But if it was to blow up in the time yours did, I wouldnt be goin around advertising for them right away... lol (Hey everyone! My FLT tranny broke in 2K miles!! FLT is the best!!! Buy from them!)

:cheers:

Man for spending over $3K on a tranny that lasted less than 2200 miles, you seem very confident  and proud of a company who left you stranded on the side of the road!  Not saying thats a bad thing, but you handle it very well...  I lost a couple of trannies from some guys who built it at the dealership, and I wanted to crack their skulls open.  Now that my tranny shop built me a good tranny (knock on wood) I am happy.  But if it was to blow up in the time yours did, I wouldnt be goin around advertising for them right away... lol  (Hey everyone!  My FLT tranny broke in 2K miles!!  FLT is the best!!!  Buy from them!) 

:nono: Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn in an unfortunate situation. I take offense to your comment in case you didn't catch my drift. If I blew up my motor with a 500hp shot of nitrous, do I blame NOS, NX or Zex? Reputation is what the world thinks a company is; character is what they really are. ;)

Man for spending over $3K on a tranny that lasted less than 2200 miles, you seem very confident  and proud of a company who left you stranded on the side of the road!  Not saying thats a bad thing, but you handle it very well...  I lost a couple of trannies from some guys who built it at the dealership, and I wanted to crack their skulls open.  Now that my tranny shop built me a good tranny (knock on wood) I am happy.  But if it was to blow up in the time yours did, I wouldnt be goin around advertising for them right away... lol  (Hey everyone!  My FLT tranny broke in 2K miles!!  FLT is the best!!!  Buy from them!) 

:nono: Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn in an unfortunate situation. I take offense to your comment in case you didn't catch my drift. If I blew up my motor with a 500hp shot of nitrous, do I blame NOS, NX or Zex? Reputation is what the world thinks a company is; character is what they really are. ;)

:withstupid:

For them to back up his tranny says alot about them. Especially due to the fact that he is OVER their recommended HP rating.

Edited by jboyss (see edit history)