DTC's

foxySS

Just finally got done a little bit ago with pulling all of the whipple craptronics out. I started it up and it started really rough and was blowing a ton of black smoke out of the tailpipe. One of the lights on the dash came on so I scanned the DTC's and this is what came up:

Diagnostic Trouble Codes

P0118 "Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor Circuit High" EPA ($10) "Powertrain Control Module (PCM)"

P0118 "Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor Circuit High" EPA Pending ($10) "Powertrain Control Module (PCM)"

P0118 "Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor Circuit High" MPHC ($10) "Powertrain Control Module (PCM)"

U1000 "Class 2 Data Link" H ($40) "Body Control Module (BCM) or Dash Integration Module (DIM)"

U1000 "Class 2 Data Link" H ($58) "Inflatable Restraint Sensing and Diagnostic Module (SDM)"

U1000 "Class 2 Data Link" H ($60) "Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC)"

U1000 "Class 2 Data Link" H ($98) "HVAC Control Module"

U1000 "Class 2 Data Link" H ($A0) "Driver Door Module (DDM)"

U1000 "Class 2 Data Link" H ($A1) "Front Passenger Door Module (FPDM)"

U1000 "Class 2 Data Link" H ($A6) "Driver Seat Module (DSM)"

:banghead: Any ideas?

Edited by foxySS (see edit history)

This is just a guess, having so many trouble codes that are completely unrelated to one another makes me think that you may have a bad ground. I'm not sure though. Did you have a custom tune made for your truck? The black smoke is likely raw gas. Running way too rich. Your truck is probably running in closed loop or maybe even Limp Mode and it's not even looking at your MASS sensor or O2 sensors. A bad groung can be the culprit to this too.

I have a whipple that I pulled off of a Hummer H2 that I'm putting on my truck. I haven't decided if I am going to use the whipple piggy back electronics or go with a custom tune and larger injectors. I think I am going to do both, use the piggy back system for now and when I get some money, do the custom tune with injectors.

Okay, I got the p0118 cleared up. It was a bad solder. Now everything seems to be running okay except for the fact the scan says that it cannot retrieve any O2 sensor results. I went and checked everything again and everything is connected. I don't know where to even start now. :banghead::mad:

BTW, it looks like the PCM is reading the O2's because i'm seeing normal voltage fluctuations while scanning.

Edited by foxySS (see edit history)

Okay, I got the p0118 cleared up.  It was a bad solder.  Now everything seems to be running okay except for the fact the scan says that it cannot retrieve any O2 sensor results.  I went and checked everything again and everything is connected.  I don't know where to even start now.  :banghead:    :mad:

BTW, it looks like the PCM is reading the O2's because i'm seeing normal voltage fluctuations while scanning.

That's normal. Everytime I've ran the test to retrive O2 results it gives a message saying if can not retrieve results.

If you've got the normal fluctuations,you're good to go.

Hey Justin, so basically it says cannot retrieve 02 results from PCM and then it says check SMS results. I can't remember if it was SMS results or System readiness results but it also says it fails evacuative purge, O2 heater and I think O2. Is this normal? Thanks! :cheers:

Hey Justin, so basically it says cannot retrieve 02 results from PCM and then it says check SMS results.  I can't remember if it was SMS results or System readiness results but it also says it fails evacuative purge, O2 heater and I think O2.  Is this normal?  Thanks!  :cheers:

Yep, that's normal too. Takes a while for those tests to complete. Until they're done, it says failed... :)