Suggestions for regular maintenance?

Hey all, the SS has 40K-miles on it now, and it is taking a little more to get started in the morning so I was thinking it might be time for injector/top-end cleaning and maybe new plugs? I've used GM TEC before to remove carbon buildup and I hear that the LSx motors are notoriuos for pulling oil past the PCV valve so I'm thinking I'm going to do that treatment. But someone here mentioned this week to use SeaFoam as injector cleaner? Do you just mix a solution of it in a few gallons of gas and drive until it has passed through, or ??? And have you guys noticed a need for spark plug replacement at 40K-miles on a stock LQ9? If so what kind of plug?

Thanks for your gents' help -

Mr. P. :)

Seafoam is a QUALITY product ... my brother is an ASE certified master mechanic and he has had me putting that crap in my old beaters for years. That stuff has gone in my rides ... four wheelers ... boats ... you name we have dumped it in. I don't know very much since I had the 'source' around me 24/7 but I know it does a body good.

Sorry about the no substance post ... but ... hey that is what you get .... :smash:

good point ... the wifey busted my balls for awhile ... but I think i have earned another get out of jail free card ... did you see the olsen post? give me a little break .... geez :D

Hey all, the SS has 40K-miles on it now, and it is taking a little more to get started in the morning so I was thinking it might be time for injector/top-end cleaning and maybe new plugs?  I've used GM TEC before to remove carbon buildup and I hear that the LSx motors are notoriuos for pulling oil past the PCV valve so I'm thinking I'm going to do that treatment.  But someone here mentioned this week to use SeaFoam as injector cleaner?  Do you just mix a solution of it in a few gallons of gas and drive until it has passed through, or ???  And have you guys noticed a need for spark plug replacement at 40K-miles on a stock LQ9?  If so what kind of plug?

Thanks for your gents' help -

Mr. P. :)

seafome is very good product :thumbs: best way is to put it thru the brake booster vac. line. run engin up to temp. pull vac. line and let it suck out of the can until it stalls, or 2/3

shut it off if it didn't stall and wait about 30 min. and start it up. ..WILL smoke up a bitch but you know that. put the 1/3 left in the can into your fuel tank and thats about it.and go :driving:

some will say to change your oil after useing but that is up to what ever you feel.

i have also been useing LUCAS injector cleaner in the tank and it's :eek::thumbs::thumbs: BIG inprovement over TECRON that i have used in the past

good luck..... i see a how to comming soon...... :D

:seeya:

Thanks man - I understand it's use for breaking up the carbon deposits, just wanted more info on using it as an injector cleaner. Is there a specific ratio or concentration of Seafoam/TEC to gasoline? How many gallons or miles do I run this mix through the injectors?

Thanks man - I understand it's use for breaking up the carbon deposits, just wanted more info on using it as an injector cleaner.  Is there a specific ratio or concentration of Seafoam/TEC to gasoline?  How many gallons or miles do I run this mix through the injectors?

the can states, that 1 pt. treats 8-24 gal. of fuel, avg. 1 oz. per. gal.

for use in injector cleaning machines use 50% seafome and 50% fuel.

when i use it when i put a 1/3 can in the tank i will run it to about 1/4 a tank before i refill it

but thats me.don't like to run below a 1/4 of a tank any time. if your fuel system is posabley very dirty, then after you fill up you can put a nother 1/3+ cans in and then change your fuel filter at next fill up

hope this helps

Edited by desrtrat (see edit history)

...seafome is very good product  :thumbs:  best way is to put it thru the brake booster vac. line. run engin up to temp. pull vac. line and let it suck out of the can until it stalls, or 2/3

shut it off if it didn't stall and wait about 30 min. and start it up. ..WILL smoke up a bitch but you know that. put the 1/3 left in the can into your fuel tank and thats about it.and go  :driving:

:withstupid:

...WILL smoke up a bitch ...
Good LORD what's that SMELL?! :lol: OK I give SeaFoam two thumbs WAY up :thumbs::thumbs: I have not run it through the injectors yet but already there is a big SOTP improvement. I poured 2/3rds of the can into a ceramic mug, then let the engine suck it up through the PCV valve, shut the engine off, had dinner, then started it back up. It took a lot of coaxing to get the engine to run again but after 5-mins of fast idling took the truck for a 10-min spin and it's definitely better in the lower mid-range, truck squirmed all four tires loose at 3/4 throttle turning onto the highway and it hasn't done that in a while. I'm thinking of buying another can and dumping that plus what I have left in the tank to clean the injectors, that would be about 1.3 pints Seafoam to 3-gals (24 pints) fuel, or a 6% solution of Sea foam...

Mr. P.

truck squirmed all four tires loose at 3/4 throttle

O.K., you got me... Buying some over lunch... She needs a fuel filter too since it's been 25,000 miles since I got her (Nearly 49,000 total).

Edited by SS_bnoon_SS (see edit history)

...WILL smoke up a bitch ...
Good LORD what's that SMELL?! :lol: OK I give SeaFoam two thumbs WAY up :thumbs::thumbs: I have not run it through the injectors yet but already there is a big SOTP improvement. I poured 2/3rds of the can into a ceramic mug, then let the engine suck it up through the PCV valve, shut the engine off, had dinner, then started it back up. It took a lot of coaxing to get the engine to run again but after 5-mins of fast idling took the truck for a 10-min spin and it's definitely better in the lower mid-range, truck squirmed all four tires loose at 3/4 throttle turning onto the highway and it hasn't done that in a while. I'm thinking of buying another can and dumping that plus what I have left in the tank to clean the injectors, that would be about 1.3 pints Seafoam to 3-gals (24 pints) fuel, or a 6% solution of Sea foam...

Mr. P.

6% mix :eek: that should do it :thumbs: it will also keep removing most of the remainder of the carbon that may still be there. BUT keep a eye on your fuel filter just in case.

have fun :driving:

6% mix  :eek: ...
Well steer me right here, I'm worried that 6% isn't strong enough :dunno: I mean, the instructions do say to use 50/50 seafoam-to-gas in an injector cleaning machine.

6% will be good. the 50/50 mix is killer but your only running that mix for a short time on the machine. and the 6% is over the life of the fuel in the tank. see how it works and if you want on your next tank mix anouther 6% but i don't think you will need to.