Suggestions for regular maintenance?

Call me an idiot but how many cans do you put in a full tank to make a strong but safe mixure? I already did a treatment last week but I am sure have a substantial build up considering I have NEVER run anything less then 90 octane. Plus I am going to have a good drive this weekend to let it work.

I myself couldn't afford to treat a whole tank of gas! For regular use I would use according to the directions on the can, at least 1 pint per 8-10 gallons of fuel, that's 3 cans per full tank. It would be more economical to buy a whole gallot of seafoam ($45 here at Oreilly's) and add to a full tank.

AFA safe concentration - you could double that mixture and still not hurt the engine, it's a petroleum product! I wouldn't think that you would benefit at any mixture ratio greater above that.

Mr. P.

Edited by misterp (see edit history)

I myself couldn't afford to treat a whole tank of gas! For regular use I would use according to the directions on the can, at least 1 pint per 8-10 gallons of fuel, that's 3 cans per full tank. It would be more economical to buy a whole gallot of seafoam ($45 here at Oreilly's) and add to a full tank.

AFA safe concentration - you could double that mixture and still not hurt the engine, it's a petroleum product! I wouldn't think that you would benefit at any mixture ratio greater above that.

Mr. P.

LOL, so what about a half gallon in a full tank? I get a military discount at most of the auto places including Oreilly's. I think I paid a little over 3$ for a can of Sea Foam. Anything you need Mr. P? :)

LOL, so what about a half gallon in a full tank? I get a military discount at most of the auto places including Oreilly's. I think I paid a little over 3$ for a can of Sea Foam. Anything you need Mr. P? :)

You sir are my NEW bestest friend. :lol:

• 1 gallon in full tank = 5.3 ounces SeaFoam / gallon of gas
  • 1.5 cans in 1/4-tank = 4 ounces SeaFoam / gallon of gas (what I recommend for injector cleaning)
  • 0.5 gals in 1/2-tank = 2.6 ounces SeaFoam / gallon of gas
  • 1 can in 3/4 tank = 1 ounce SeaFoam / gallon of gas (this is the '5000-mile directions' on the can)

So yeah a 1/2-gallon in a 1/2-tank of fuel should continue to clean very well and then drop back to a regular injector cleaning schedule (1 can in 3/4-tank of gas every 5000-miles).

Mr. P.

Edited by misterp (see edit history)

You sir are my NEW bestest friend. :lol:

• 1 gallon in full tank = 5.3 ounces SeaFoam / gallon of gas
  • 1.5 cans in 1/4-tank = 4 ounces SeaFoam / gallon of gas (what I recommend for injector cleaning)
  • 0.5 gals in 1/2-tank = 2.6 ounces SeaFoam / gallon of gas
  • 1 can in 3/4 tank = 1 ounce SeaFoam / gallon of gas (this is the '5000-mile directions' on the can)

So yeah a 1/2-gallon in a 1/2-tank of fuel should continue to clean very well and then drop back to a regular injector cleaning schedule (1 can in 3/4-tank of gas every 5000-miles).

Mr. P.

Just start thinking about what you need. I am not sure if its 10 or 15%, but I know I get hooked up.

Oh and do you see a need to replace the PCV valve?

Edited by SSAlaska (see edit history)

Jury is still out on the PCV valve, several have said the new Fram Z06 valve is an improvement, others say it's not enough to matter and a catch can is still preferred and definitely required on FI motors.

Mr. P.

Jury is still out on the PCV valve, several have said the new Fram Z06 valve is an improvement, others say it's not enough to matter and a catch can is still preferred and definitely required on FI motors.

Mr. P.

Its never been anwsered, did you replace your plugs? If so with what?

Its never been anwsered, did you replace your plugs? If so with what?
No I did not replace the spark plugs nor the PCV valve; but my truck does have 50K-miles on it now and I'm thinking it would be a good idea to now replace the plugs & plug wires, but I'm in no hurry as my truck is running well enough at the moment.

Mr. P.

I am biased...I work for GM...

I installed AC 'iridium' plugs...I noticed a slight improvement, and less spark knock on hot days......I indexed them also...Don't know if that made a difference...I indexed the 'back' plugs first because I have read they are the 'problem' cylinders...F.Y.I., indexing is aiming the 'open' part of the spark plug at the intake valve...I did it on my 415 h.p. (with NOS) '79' Camaro and picked up a tenth, the Camaro ran 12.5's all day......the last two where pretty close...I use techron for an injector cleaner only because I can't find seafoam here in Michigan...We used techron at the Cadillac dealer that I worked at...But the injector cleaner machine was FAR superior...

I did not know we even had a pvc valve!!!...What happens when it gets too dirty??? What are the symptoms?...What is the 'catch can' idea for?...What does it improve?

Thanks!!!