Lil' advice needed...

AJSmyth

All my friends ride dirt bikes, and I wanted to get into it as well. I am going to look at a 2006 Honda Crf250r this weekend. I know absolutely nothing about bikes. Is there anything in particular to look for on slightly used dirt bikes or does anyone know of a common defect with these bikes...I couldn't find anything negative online. Like I said its an 06 and the guy is giving me a great deal $4,000 b/c he says wouldn't mind helping out a student getting into riding, oh and he is f'n loaded...he already bought 4 new 07's. Even if I sell it in a year, I don't think I will lose too much, if anything...But I wouldn't mind putting the 4k into my truck, any advice is greatly needed...

-buying remorse AJ

are you dead stuck on a 4stroke? Newer model 2strokes can be had cheap and this way if its something you dont really get into your not out a lot of money. Plus 4 strokes are for sissy's IMO, lol. Doesnt sound like a bad deal on the crf but soon as they roll off the floor they loose a lot of value.

I would look for something around an 02 125 2 stroke, can normally find them for around $1500. I picked up my 99 rm250 for $750 2yrs ago and it still outruns and out performs the newer bikes, just need to get it set up right and maintain it correctly

Where are you located at as well?

The crf250f is a great bike, run good pretty strong as well. My buddy has the 250x same bike with a headlight. Thing is awesome, remember its a honda, it will run forever with little maintainence. Down side is the aftermarket parts for them are costly and don't do much for them. I think exhaust, intake, and jetting adds about 1 1/2 to 2 hp, little gain for alot of money. They are twitchy like a 2 stroke, but have torque, so takes a it to get use to.

As Fox said I would probably look for an older 2 stroke, or even a larger used 4 stroke, if that is what you are set on getting. I was online last night looking for a new bike and saw a few 2000-2002 bikes in the area of $900-3500 dollars.

yea buy a 2 stroke and foul plugs every other time you ride.you'll be working on it more than you ride it. 4 stroke has low end power where 2 stroke has none. :nono:

and as for that deal....dirt bikes lose value fast + have no warranty what so ever.

if your starting out get a 250F. its perfect for a beginner. Honda is what i perfer. but there all descent. i have a 2005 crf 250F and i like it. have had no problems what so ever. PM if you have any questions. i just posted some pics of mine on the picture post section of the forum under -more random pics-

First let me start off by saying 4k for a 06 cr250f is a great deal.

Obviously when you go and look at the bike make sure it shifts through all the gears smoothly and you can get it back into neutral. When you first start it make sure it has good compression (a.k.a. it should be a bit$% to kick). Its on 06 so its highly unlikely it has bad compression. Some other things to watch out for would be seal and gasket leaks (forks especially); other than that use good judgement and you should be good to go.

As for the comment that 2 strokes have no low end power.... :icon_bs:, my rm250 would walk all over any 250f thrown at it.

yea buy a 2 stroke and foul plugs every other time you ride.you'll be working on it more than you ride it. 4 stroke has low end power where 2 stroke has none. :nono:

first you need to get your facts straight. I have been riding on the same plug for the past 2yrs with it not fouling once. Its all about the tuning of the machine. As for working on it more, yeah maybe have to redo the top end once a yr if ridden a whole lot which costs $100 compared to always having to check the valves on the 4 strokes, making sure your timing doesnt jump teeth, replacing the vlaves if by chance you tap one, plus the actual cost of just doing a top end in a 4 stroke which is just rediculous. You may not have to do it as often as a 2t but sometimes you do. its all about maintaining your bike. if you run it and treat it like sh!t nothing will hold up and you will be dumping money into it no matter what stroke it is.

Now I have owned many 4 strokes and 2 strokes, just the 2t's are my pref because it is easier to maintain, gives you more of a thrill when the powerband hits and keeps you on the edge most of the time. Plus with 4t's its like a bellybutton, everyone has one. Also the fact people put those dumbass loud exhausts on them because they think its cool and gives them mad power when in reallity all your doing is getting a little performance and just helping the tree huggers shut down the riding areas. :rant:

Oh yeah and to add to the 2t's have no low end power, why do you think most of the GNCC riders are on 2t MX bikes. Throw a flywheel weight on there and it will lug around like a 4t

Thats an OK deal for that bike. That is also a great beginners bike too... 4strokes are a perfect learning platform for a new rider. When I got my wife into riding, she started on a 4 stroke, and now rides a CRF250 no problem. Its a little heavy for her, and it was a little tall, but i just adjusted the sag and changed the valving and its fine.

As for 2 strokes... you only foul plugs if you dont know how to jet/tune your bike. I change my jets if I go riding in different elevation levels so I run perfect everytime. Not to mention I always mix 2 gallons of VP fuel to 3 gallons of 91 and use a 32:1 or 40:1 mixing ratio (32:1 for desert/dunes/trail, 40:1 for track) and I havent fouled a plug in god knows how long.

If I was to buy a bike right now, it would be a 4 stroke. Better technology, and they are the future.

Oh, and for the guy who said 4 strokes are for pussies, go say that to the top supercross/motocross guys like Carmicheal, Reed, Stewart, and pretty much EVERY rider that rides professional.. because they are all sitting on 4 strokes this season (and last, besides one 'SX Lites' rider on a 125cc two stroke).

I can tear down and rebuild a 2-stroke in no time, but a 4 stroke is much more difficult and will require a really good tech to fix the bottom end of one of those. 4 strokes hardly need to be rebuilt compared to a 2-stroke though. Your call.. I vote the 250F for you.

As for inspecting.. not much you can do to inspect the bike ... but look at the cases REALLY good. Make sure there are NO cracks/holes in it... that is a major problem. Check the suspension for leaks around the seals... look at the radiator, make sure there is no damage there either. Ask if it has been in the sand.... some people take it to the sand and dont prep the bike the right way and the motor sucks up sand and it can fuk up the motor and score the cyclinders head and crap. And check to make sure it has all the gears!! A compression check on a 4 stroke is hard, you would have to get a compression tester to really tell whats up. For an 06, unless it was ridden a LOT, I am sure compression is not a problem.

Good luck!

Oh, and for the guy who said 4 strokes are for pussies, go say that to the top supercross/motocross guys like Carmicheal, Reed, Stewart, and pretty much EVERY rider that rides professional.. because they are all sitting on 4 strokes this season (and last, besides one 'SX Lites' rider on a 125cc two stroke). 

Or maybe thats because there sponsors supply those bikes, and by no means is a supercross bike anything like a normal trail/track rider, they are also worth upwards of $30k in some cases :chillpill:

Or maybe thats because there sponsors supply those bikes, and by no means is a supercross bike anything like a normal trail/track rider, they are also worth upwards of $30k in some cases :chillpill:

So what about the privateers (which account for 70% of the riders in SX) who ride 4 strokes ? They dont ride 4 strokes because the other guys do, but they are better bikes all around if you know how to ride. I ride a 2 stroke, but when I do ride 4 strokes I can shave off time on each lap... not to mention I can climb hills a lot better with all the low end torque of a 4stroke. 2 Strokes are great track bikes, but 4 strokes are a better desert/trail bike. 4 strokes are now lighter and better... I would agree with you if this was 2002 when 4 strokes were a lot heavier and bulkier than 2 strokes, but they have surpassed 2 strokes now and its time to move on... I will be selling my Cr250 next year and getting the 08 CR450F.

ok well besides the pissing match....

AJ how often do you plan on riding? Since you said you would rather spend the money on the SS, if your not going to be riding all that much then go the cheaper route. But obviously we already know my outlook on this situation cause 4k is a lot of money for something your just going to scratch.ding up each time out. Whatever you do at least get protection for the bike if your doing trails/woods riding (barkbusters, skid plates, pipe guard if a 2t, etc.)

check to see if the fork seals are leaking... Run it and listen for rattles, look for smoke (for four-stroke) look at the rotors and pads, and check out the tires too... rounded/missing nobbies are no good. Look at the plastics for scratches or "flex marks" which look like white(er) discolorations in the plastic. Check the radiators for dents or cracks... radiators are very spendy :nono:

if you find stuff like that it is usually a abused bike.

:thumbs: Hope this helps...

-Cody

ofcourse a RM 250 will "walk all over" a 250F cause there not the same class. you think it would walk all over a 450f? mmmmmmmmmm no.

a 2 strokes u have to have rapped out for it too get power. u cant lug around on it.

they arent even making any more 2 strokes here soon cause of pollution. and the reason i said you foul a plug on a 2 stroke if you havent had alot of experience on a dirt bike you will foul plugs. 4 strokes are way better for a beginner. in his case. to each his own. i think ill be a **** and keep my 4 stroke. (oopss i mean sissy lemme edit that real quick)

Y'all are crazy.... It's all ride style and preferance as to what bike to buy. I like 2 strokes, I have a few 4 strokes I love them both. For maintainece reasons, and being a new rider, I would for sure get a 4 stroke.

The question at hand was is a crf250f a good bike and what to look for people...

Yes that is a great bike, the price isn't all that bad either, see whats around you may just want to hit up a dealer for a left over for that kind of money. Don't just buy the first deal you come across, there are better deals out there when it comes to bikes.

I really do like the hondas I have an xr200 for a woods/toolin bike and it's a blast, not a rocket by anymeans but good to have fun on. As I said before my buddy has the crf250x and that thing is a blast as well, just a bit more power.

Archived