70k mi. maintance??

just bought this pickup used with 70k miles on the clock. '03 ss sivlerado.

ok just got back from chevy dealership. (got too curious) they said that these pickups have a timing chain that does not need to be replaced until it breaks...

and that i should do the following:

flush tranny $120

fuel induction flush $120

fuel filter $51 (this one im sure i can do since its not in the fuel tank right? havent got under there yet.)

also what kind of fuel do you guys run in ur ss? just got it and have had to fill up once and used 89 (plus). its hard to find 93 in our state so i cant use that. 91 (super) is readily available. but im just curious.

and what about oil? im a big castrol fan. but in my last high performance veh. i ran mobil-1 full synthetic. do u guys use regular, syntec blend, or full syn??

any other opinions/suggestions would be appreciated. this is my second chevy truck and my first high performance truck.

thanks to all that respond.

Edited by jakerz (see edit history)

i try searching on this forum and i quess my comp. is slow. cuz it takes "FOREVER" to load the results (if it loads them at all). everything else loads at normal speed. this isnt my first forum. and i have never had this problem before. so i'm left with asking questions and hoping for a response...

I would strongly recommend you don't run anything lower than 91 if you have the choice.

I run Mobile 1 full synthetic in all my New vehicles ... just personal preference on that.

i bought an extended warranty when i got the truck. (3yr or when the truck reaches 110k mi.) so i'll have them check this out. :banghead:

didnt know it came stock. lol :D

has anyone had a problem after having it replaced? i mean is it a recurring issue that cant be solved?

or is it a waste of time getting fixed?? something that might be considered "regular maintance"

just bought this pickup used with 70k miles on the clock. '03 ss sivlerado.

ok just got back from chevy dealership. (got too curious) they said that these pickups have a timing chain that does not need to be replaced until it breaks...

and that i should do the following:

flush tranny $120

fuel induction flush $120

fuel filter $51 (this one im sure i can do since its not in the fuel tank right? havent got under there yet.)

also what kind of fuel do you guys run in ur ss? just got it and have had to fill up once and used 89 (plus). its hard to find 93 in our state so i cant use that. 91 (super) is readily available. but im just curious.

and what about oil? im a big castrol fan. but in my last high performance veh. i ran mobil-1 full synthetic. do u guys use regular, syntec blend, or full syn??

any other opinions/suggestions would be appreciated. this is my second chevy truck and my first high performance truck.

thanks to all that respond.

Flush trans for $120; if that is a flush with pan drop and filter change go for it, if it is just a flush I would avoid it with that many miles. To many people end up with slush boxes after just a flush without a pan drop and filter change on higher mile vehicles.

Fuel injector flush $120 is high in my area, but shop around, that may be the going rate where your at. Lucas makes a really good fuel injector cleaner I use every time I change my oil, $3.99 most places.

Fuel Filter, yea it needs it probably, $51 is steep, but not harsh. You can do it yourself on the '03 it is still on the frame rail.

Oil? I've used the German Castrol Synthetic since the first oil change, it's a 0w-30 but viscosity is more like a 5w-40 Mobil. So far I've can't complain about it.

As for gas, my VHO doesn't like anything less than 91, she's picky like that.

Anything else on a new/used '03 SS, well if it was me I would probably change the plugs even though chevy says they are good for 100k.

Flush trans for $120; if that is a flush with pan drop and filter change go for it, if it is just a flush I would avoid it with that many miles. To many people end up with slush boxes after just a flush without a pan drop and filter change on higher mile vehicles.

Fuel injector flush $120 is high in my area, but shop around, that may be the going rate where your at. Lucas makes a really good fuel injector cleaner I use every time I change my oil, $3.99 most places.

Fuel Filter, yea it needs it probably, $51 is steep, but not harsh. You can do it yourself  on the '03 it is still on the frame rail.

Oil? I've used the German Castrol Synthetic since the first oil change, it's a 0w-30 but viscosity is more like a 5w-40 Mobil. So far I've can't complain about it.

As for gas, my VHO doesn't like anything less than 91, she's picky like that.

Anything else on a new/used '03 SS, well if it was me I would probably change the plugs even though chevy says they are good for 100k.

very informative. thanks for answering all those questions. and the tranny flush would include a pan drop. they said they have some kind of machine that does it all. (i thought i could do this myself, but apparently not) i'll def. check on the inj. flush. and i can do the filter myself. (save a couple $) and i'll check into lucas. it seems everytime i try to use an injector cleaner, that my vehec. performs worse afterwards.?.? maybe i've been using the wrong inj. cleaner... thanks again man!! +rep for you!

The dealer here charges $120 for a "complete fuel system and top-end cleaning service" :dunno: and that included changing-out the fuel filter. I elected to change the filter myself, plus use two cans of SeaFoam (equivalent to GM Top End Cleaner) for a whopping total of $25 plus an hour's time. But I certainly would not fault you for doing a professional top-end engine cleaning at that mileage as these Gen-III motors are known to pull a lot of oil past the PCV valve into the intake, plus using premium fuel will contribute to forming more carbon as well.

First thing I do when buying a used vehicle is change ALL fluids and filters, period. Don't forget the axles and transfer case. Review the How-To's.

Congrats on the truck, and welcome to the forum :chevy:

Mr. P.

No, higher octane fuel by definition burns slower and cooler than lower-octane fuel; this allows engines to be operated with more ignition advance and/or compression ratio (higher efficiency) but there will be more carbon buildup as a trade-off.