70k mi. maintance??

No, higher octane fuel by definition burns slower and cooler than lower-octane fuel; this allows engines to be operated with more ignition advance and/or compression ratio (higher efficiency) but there will be more carbon buildup as a trade-off.

ohhhh. so thats where the seafoam comes in.

see i had a mechanic awhile back tell me that its pointless to use a "fuel system cleaner". to just buy the higher octane (91) at the pump. and it would be the equivlant to running a fuel system cleaner every oil change...glad to find out he was wrong now, instead of 10 years from now.

btw, im currently using 89 octane...and i'll just run some fuel cleaner in there every oil change. which i'll be using a full synthetic oil. (mobil1 or castrol) so that will be every 7500mi.

sound good? im keeping this truck, so i want it to last me. i've never had a car longer than a year, so i'm not to "big" on longtivety (sp). and my dad is the same way....chip off the ole block i guess. ha!

Edited by jakerz (see edit history)

No, higher octane fuel by definition burns slower and cooler than lower-octane fuel; this allows engines to be operated with more ignition advance and/or compression ratio (higher efficiency) but there will be more carbon buildup as a trade-off.

ohhhh. so thats where the seafoam comes in.

see i had a mechanic awhile back tell me that its pointless to use a "fuel system cleaner". to just buy the higher octane (91) at the pump. and it would be the equivlant to running a fuel system cleaner every oil change...glad to find out he was wrong now, instead of 10 years from now.

btw, im currently using 89 octane...and i'll just run some fuel cleaner in there every oil change. which i'll be using a full synthetic oil. (mobil1 or castrol) so that will be every 7500mi.

sound good? im keeping this truck, so i want it to last me. i've never had a car longer than a year, so i'm not to "big" on longtivety (sp). and my dad is the same way....chip off the ole block i guess. ha!

If you run the Lucas every oil change and change oil on a regular "3-4k" basis your SS will not let you down due to engine failure. The LQ9 is no different than any other small block chevy when it come to longivity. Take care of it and it will go the distance. I put 150k on a 2.2L chevy S10 with 3k oil changes of Mobil1, she never sneezed or leaked or gave any sign of going south. If that pitiful little motor could take my abuse for that long and not smoke then I have faith that my LQ9 and I will grow old together without any major problems. I laugh when I think of the 283 my dad had in a 63 Impala that hit 350000 miles without the vavle covers ever being off. It lasted that long with regular oil changes and that was before synthectic. Treat it like a member of the family, it won't let you down. If the red lablel Castrol German is at your local Autozone then get it, if not grab the good old Mobil 1 and no worries.

good to here! i get so exited every time i get on here. i learn something new everyday about this truck. and everyday it makes me glad i found it. i think the only way i'd get rid of her is if someone pried it from my cold dead fingers!! and i bought it used. that guy must not have know what he had... :chevy:

If you run the Lucas every oil change and change oil on a regular "3-4k" basis your SS will not let you down due to engine failure. The LQ9 is no different than any other small block chevy when it come to longivity. Take care of it and it will go the distance. I put 150k on a 2.2L chevy S10 with 3k oil changes of Mobil1, she never sneezed or leaked or gave any sign of going south. If that pitiful little motor could take my abuse for that long and not smoke then I have faith that my LQ9 and I will grow old together without any major problems. I laugh when I think of the 283 my dad had in a 63 Impala that hit 350000 miles without the vavle covers ever being off. It lasted that long with regular oil changes and that was before synthectic. Treat it like a member of the family, it won't let you down. If the red lablel Castrol German is at your local Autozone then get it, if not grab the good old Mobil 1 and no worries.

TOTALLY - take care of your stuff, and it will take care of you. Then again, you'll never have anything new either :P