KR on 04 vette

thallent

Hey guys two wweks ago we took dad's vette to the track to see if the vararam made a difference. Well i logged the run with HPT just to see. The car currently has stock tune, A4, b&b bullet cat back and the vararam ram air setup. Compared to previous best it ran 2 tenths quicker and picked up 2 mph through the 1/4. Anyways looking at the log during the run it was showing up to 7* of KR. Would this be normal with a stock tune? Would it more than likely be flase knock being reported? And also if it is being reported by HPT is it really pulling timing also?

And any suggestions on where to start with correcting it?

Thanks

Edited by thallent (see edit history)

With the stock config sheet, I believe it's the #2 histogram that shows where your KR is at. Post up your log file...

If it's being seen by the HPT scan, it's pulling timing and has nothing to do with being "false" or not. False knock is when the knock sensors pick up something other than preignition and pull timing needlessly, which can happen with cam or exhaust installs/etc.

Most likely, if all he has done is the intake and exhaust, it's the MAF values going off track that puts to much load into the PCM and advances the timing, causing your KR... it could be false knock coming from the exhaust too though...

Edited by SS_bnoon_SS (see edit history)

Looks like most of the KR is .64 and .68 G/cyl and between 4-7 degrees. Look at the histograms, button 2 of the default config, click "L" in the tool bar for "last value", and run the mouse over the KR on the chart display to populate the KR histogram and it will show you right where to pull timing from. I'd start by pulling 2-3 degrees and pulling back the knock attack rates a little bit to see just how much over allowed timing you really are.

Most likely, with the new exhaust and intake, your load values are off, and you could be running lean as well, causing the knock. Do you have wide band O2's available? Something you should think about if you're going to get serious...

Let me know if this makes sense. If not, maybe I could shoot a short movie clip to show you around on how to correct this...

post-7241-1161614742_thumb.jpg