Shift Firmness

CaliChevyV8

One thing about "mail order" tunes, is trans calibrations are tough for them because every model acts different and every trans is adjusted and driven different, so to get it spot-on for all customers is tough, and even logging with autotap, it will not get you there 100% ... even then you have to know what to look for ... The best way, is to make small adjustments and drive it a lot between and also get some 80% runs and 100% TPS runs to get it adapted ... Doin't get anxious and take your time ... and don't go overboard with LP or Timing on oem components ... computer enhancing can only go so far ... 11H

Not true. With the desired shift times table, it's pretty easy to actually get trans tunes down in one shot. The PCM does all of the adjusting for you to fine tune it and tweak it to the right point.

Edit:

I've attached an image showing all of the trans parameters available to adjust in EFI Live. Things have come a LONG way since logging with Autotap and using a handheld to make tweaks.

post-5104-1161994428_thumb.png

Edited by .justin. (see edit history)

Thanks Justin!

I have been out of the loop for a little while since I sold my 2002 av and never got too far into tuning the trans on my last rig it was a 4L80 ... It din't need much finesse ...

I hear you on the handheld thing and I have played with LS1edit, but never liked their licensing to one pcm thing ...

I have a VERY good relationship with Johan at Diablosport, and I have a few featues on my HH that maybe some others don't get ...

What I fight with, is I get them for my use gratis and NEED to have a portable way to go back to stock because my local delaers here have gotten commie on me and they deny warr work on a lot of trucks when they shouldn't be ... Our new area rep is strict ...

What I am working with, is I have many custom tunes, some where we are seeing 1-3 MPG increases by modding egr and PT timing ... so, I give field data and I normally get any custom tune I need ... The gap of course is, I have to tell him what I want, and he writes a tune and emails it and I upload it ... Maybe not the best scenario but I guess I am sorta confident I have someone with a lot of experience writing my tunes ... On my 1500 av 4x4, going this route, I made a real dyno tuned on the same day 12RWHP and 15RWTQ just from tuning and we never finished and that was with crap fuel ... so to me, the diablo works and does make power, you just have to have custom tuning done ...

However, since you have my ear, maybe you should pitch me what the latest and greatest is, because if there is a real 20RWHP in tuning the way most of you guys say, then I am game ... I just am not comfy doing the mail order tune thing ... I just can't imagine going that route gets people more than my route with custom tunes via the pred ...

Maybe I am wrong ... lemme have it :devil:

Do I have catching up to do? Has the tuning world changed that much in the last 2 years ?

11H

justin, i hope people read to the point to where you made corrections ...MOst people I meet are not even to the detail I am at, so I am glad you are making kind corrections ...

I am all ears ... I am glad at least I was on the right track with adjusting my trans, even if the terminology was OFF ... lol

11H

Do I have catching up to do? Has the tuning world changed that much in the last 2 years ?

11H

Any HPTuners User or EFILive user will tell you absolutely. :)

EFILive has a free demo version of their software available for download so you can go in and see what parameters are editable and take a look at a few of them.

As for the 20hp gain. Definitely. PCMForless (mail order tuner) had dyno results posted up on his site showing that just his tuning changes on a 2003 silverado ss with only a muffler swap that made 35 more horsepower than stock.

OK ... so I have to ask now ...

NOW: I am running the diablo where I can get custom tunes done ... albiet I have to have THEM write them ... Then I go on my merry way and some day, I will tune on the dyno for gains ...

FUTURE: Can I justify the extra expense and learning curve and ditch the ability to return to stock in 2 minutes ? ... How much is a full home tuning setup gonna cost? It's either that, or I buy another PCM and have it done up mail order ...

It seems I like the versatility of the predator and it has potential, but I am wanting what you guys are doing to get more power ... I just can't have it closed-ended at least under warranty ... advice?

11H

OK ... so I have to ask now ...

NOW: I am running the diablo where I can get custom tunes done ... albiet I have to have THEM write them ... Then I go on my merry way and some day, I will tune on the dyno for gains ...

FUTURE: Can I justify the extra expense and learning curve and ditch the ability to return to stock in 2 minutes ? ... How much is a full home tuning setup gonna cost? It's either that, or I buy another PCM and have it done up mail order ...

It seems I like the versatility of the predator and it has potential, but I am wanting what you guys are doing to get more power ... I just can't have it closed-ended at least under warranty ... advice?

11H

Full tuning suite will blow the predator's versatility away. :thumbs:

Myself and many others have replaced our 1-bar map sensor with a 2-bar unit and are fully tuned to have stock-like drivability while the PCM is able to reference boost now.

I've got 255 different tunes on my computer right now between my vehicles, customer vehicles (I tune from time to time on the side) and stock tunes. At one point I had well over 100 different tunes related to my truck alone, but have cleaned out quite a few of those.

At any point I can switch back and forth between any tune that fits my applicable operating system in a matter of 30 seconds. If it's for a different operating system, I can have it swapped out in 2-3 minutes.