maintance info needed!!! plz...

jakerz

bought my 03 silverado ss used about a month ago. it has 70k on the clock. my local shop said that it would do a tranny flush, coolant flush (including the block not just the radiator), and powersteering flush for $300. (good or bad?? :dunno: ) i was thinking that i would also need to get the brake lines flushed and the axles as well as my fuel system. anything else that you can think of for a vehec. wilth 70k miles on it??

thanks,

jake

Edited by jakerz (see edit history)

well if i do the tranny, coolant, and ps at the same time it saves me like $30. im just tryin to figure out what is the most important things to do first. (that will fit in my budget) i just want this truck to last. so i gotta take care of it now. just dont know if i can shell out $400+ at one time...

I'm not suggesting you shell out $400 at once. You can pace it along your budget, but at 70K-miles I would suggest that you get it all done as soon as you can manage it. If you DIY you can R&R all fluids/filters in the truck for just over $200.

First concern is engine & trans, because the engine oil gets worked most and the transmission is usually totally ignored by the past owner. Next step I would do the axles & transfer case (running gear), these are usually completely ignored but these fluids are not worked as hard as say the engine oil. Last I would do the power steering fluid and engine coolant. Again that's assuming no knowledge of the truck's maintenance history.

After all that I would run a couple cans of Sea Foam (injector cleaner) through it. And replace the fuel filter, these are usually forgotten in regular maintanence too. Don't forget the air filter - hold it up to the sun and if you can't see sunlight through it then it needs replacement.

Also, lube everything underneath, the suspension and all u-joints as these are usually neglected by past owners.

Mr. P.

thank u so much mister P. i'd really only save $30 if i did it all at once. so i think i'll do it step by step. like u said. i plan on doing the axles and fuel filter myself. i was just going to have the shop do the tranny (cuz they use a special machine), the coolant (cuz they dont just dump the radiator), and the powersteering (cuz i dont know how hard that is...i've never done it.) but i'll look for a how to on these. thanks again,

jake