Steering shaft again!!!

Wizard

I have the aftermarket shaft and it worked well for a while and was very tight but it still clunks just like before. I have thought about just installing a non slip shaft I mean why not older cars had a solid shaft. It would still have the corrigated piece down at the box for impact.

So this shaft doesn't fix the problem? http://www.borgeson.com/TruckProductChevy.htm

I had this problem on my 05 GMC Sierra. Drove me crazy! Just counting the days before it starts on my SS.

I have the aftermarket shaft and it worked well for a while and was very tight but it still clunks just like before. I have thought about just installing a non slip shaft I mean why not older cars had a solid shaft. It would still have the corrigated piece down at the box for impact.

That's the problem. The older cars used a a rubber bushing (rag joint)between the shaft and steering box. This system was used for 40+ years with no issues. Then in steps the gubment, and says this is unsafe. It needs to be updated. So, engineers have been chasing their tails ever since working on a suitable replacement. Kind of like reinventing the wheel.

What harm can come from Welding this shaft together to eliminate the overlap in the intermidiate shaft? Not saying I am going to rush out and do this but sorta thinking about it.

or like someone else said can we put a grease fitting on it?

As you can maybe tell I have not removed mine yet

My friend is a tech at GMC and is going to regrease mine next month. He says they wouldn t even allow him to order any shafts because that not the problem. He says there is a right way and a wrong way to grease them and it should last 20-30K if done right. It s free so I ll try it :dunno:

• 2 weeks later...