BCM and backwards fuel guage

Jim Coher

I have an 04 SSS from the Katrina Flood that I rebuilt with an 03 SSS. The drive train and all of the wiring harnesses and interior including the computers BCM, PCM, etc are from the 03. Everything works great and I love the truck but my fuel guage works backwards. Zippy programed a PCM for me and it still workes backwards. He's working on a fix but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas? I also have a problem with the 2 bottom switches on th steering wheel not working. The ones that change the personal settings and reset the fuel info. I asked the dealer to flash the BCM to see if that may help but he said it can't be done. I don't even know if that would help but I asked any way. I'll have to trace it out to see if the wiring and switches are good.

The fuel system tuning is incorrect in the PCM. 03 Fuel system parameters with an 04 fuel level sender. Not sure if zippy can edit that stuff with HPT, but anyone with EFI Live can do it. Just need to pull those parameters from an 04 SSS and swap them in.

I have an 04 SSS from the Katrina Flood that I rebuilt with an 03 SSS. The drive train and all of the wiring harnesses and interior including the computers BCM, PCM, etc are from the 03. Everything works great and I love the truck but my fuel guage works backwards. Zippy programed a PCM for me and it still workes backwards. He's working on a fix but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas? I also have a problem with the 2 bottom switches on th steering wheel not working. The ones that change the personal settings and reset the fuel info. I asked the dealer to flash the BCM to see if that may help but he said it can't be done. I don't even know if that would help but I asked any way. I'll have to trace it out to see if the wiring and switches are good.

GM may have changed the software in the PCM from '03 to '04. Did Zippy use a factory calibration for the PCM from '03 or '04? I would look at that first. It's possible the PCM software may look at the fuel level sender backwards between the 2 years? I would also look into reprogramming the IPC (Instrument Panel Cluster) module with an '03 calibration instead of '04. By the way, the dealer lied to you about programming the BCM. It can definitely be programmed. I would also try that. It may be good to also use '03 calibrations for as many computers on that truck as possible so that they all can communicate with each other correctly.

GM may have changed the software in the PCM from '03 to '04. Did Zippy use a factory calibration for the PCM from '03 or '04? I would look at that first. It's possible the PCM software may look at the fuel level sender backwards between the 2 years? I would also look into reprogramming the IPC (Instrument Panel Cluster) module with an '03 calibration instead of '04. By the way, the dealer lied to you about programming the BCM. It can definitely be programmed. I would also try that. It may be good to also use '03 calibrations for as many computers on that truck as possible so that they all can communicate with each other correctly.

The fuel tank and sending unit is also from the 03, everything including the wiring, computers, drive train, etc is from the 03. I believe Zippy put the 04 parameters in the PCM for the fuel guage when he programed it. He is an awesome guy and has been bending over backwards to figure this out. He is sending me a PCM with everythinf programed for an 03 and I'll try that first. The instrument cluster may be programed for an 04 so maybe that's the culprit. Would the BCM have anything to do with the botton two buttons on my steering wheel not working or do you think it may be just a wiring problem or maybe a bad ground? Thanks for the input. You guys have been a great help during this project. I hope I can repay the favor sometime.

Without a wiring diagram, it's hard for me to tell you about those bottom 2 buttons.

I can look in my scan tool, but that will take a few minutes ...

You may want to consider getting a scan tool of your own.

You can get one pretty cheap for just GM vehicles that will access all modules on the vehicle bus.

Check out www.obd2.com

After looking in my scan tool, it appears that the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) Module receives the input from those 2 bottom switches on the steering wheel. GM calls them out as 'DIC Fuel Switch' and 'DIC Menu Switch' I am going to presume that 'DIC' means 'Driver Information Center' ... anyone else knows differently, please let me know so I can correct my notes ...

So ... it is possible that the IPC you have in the truck now did not have a DIC, and a reflash that contains the software for the DIC will have the proper software, and the buttons will then function properly.

~OR~

The IPC modules look at the sensed conditions of the input switches differently between the software for MY's '03 and '04 ... and that's why the switches don't work right now. These are just guesses on my part ... there may be another underlying problem with wires that I don't know about ... just trying to help.

So ... all things considered ... it sounds like the IPC Module is the culprit, since it has to interpret the message coming from the 2003 fuel level sender (which it's doing backwards right now) and it also accepts the inputs from the steering wheel for the Information Center.

I would lean toward reflashing the IPC with '03 software before trying to trace any wires.

So ... all things considered ... it sounds like the IPC Module is the culprit, since it has to interpret the message coming from the 2003 fuel level sender (which it's doing backwards right now) and it also accepts the inputs from the steering wheel for the Information Center.

I would lean toward reflashing the IPC with '03 software before trying to trace any wires.

I'll have the IPC Module flashed. We have a United Radio near by that rebuilds them. I wonder if they can do it or do I need to take it to a dealer. I haven't had much luck with the dealers in this area. I have a Snap On Modus at the body shop and repair shop I own. I'll have my son take a look and see what happens. Either way, I'll have to take it someplace that has the software. Thanks

I'll have the IPC Module flashed. We have a United Radio near by that rebuilds them. I wonder if they can do it or do I need to take it to a dealer. I haven't had much luck with the dealers in this area. I have a Snap On Modus at the body shop and repair shop I own. I'll have my son take a look and see what happens. Either way, I'll have to take it someplace that has the software. Thanks

Make sure that they put the correct VIN in the module when they reprogram it. It should match the PCM VIN and Body module VIN. Or, you might find yourself with a no-start issue.

Gotta love Theftlock ... :puke:

Thanks for the tip. Zippy had to use the 03 VIN on the PCM. I called the people that rebuilt the ICM and they said to bring it down and the would reprogram it for an 03. I had the truck at a dealer back when I first put it on the road and he was supposed to have flashed the BCM. That may be part of the problem too. I'll have both the ICM and BCM reprogramed and see what happens. Come to think of it, my son told me the fuel guage worked ok before we took it to get the PCM and BCM reprogramed at the dealer back in mayand they programed everything for an 04 with the 04 VIN. We'll see what happens when everything is set up for the 03 VIN. Thanks for your help. I'll keep you posted.

perk03z06, you are correct in assuming DIC is driver information center. Could it be possible that those switches are bad?

It's hard to know for sure w/o a wiring diagram, ohm meter, and prolly about 3-4 hours of dedicated time. ~OR~ A Scan Tool, and about 10 minutes of time.

Reflashing the IPC module is one of the easier approaches to this situation, I think. Especially knowing how many changes GM makes to their software in just one year ... it's astounding ... :banghead:

• 3 weeks later...

I took the IPC to a place that rebuilds them. They said it was ok and they are all programed the same whether it is an 01 up to 06. I have an IPC from an 03 SSS and tried that but the guage still works backwards. Zippy is sending me a PCM programed for an 03 so I'll try that before I go any further. If that doesn't work I'll have the BCM flashed for an 03. When I first put the truck on the road the dealer flashed it for an 04. The guy that rebuilds the IPC's said that when you program them you can't reprogram to an earlier year. If that's true I may have to buy a new BCM if need be. Has anyone heard of this before ?

perk03z06, you are correct in assuming DIC is driver information center. Could it be possible that those switches are bad?

It's hard to know for sure w/o a wiring diagram, ohm meter, and prolly about 3-4 hours of dedicated time. ~OR~ A Scan Tool, and about 10 minutes of time.

Reflashing the IPC module is one of the easier approaches to this situation, I think. Especially knowing how many changes GM makes to their software in just one year ... it's astounding ... :banghead: