BCM and backwards fuel guage

Jim Coher

I took the IPC to a place that rebuilds them. They said it was ok and they are all programed the same whether it is an 01 up to 06. I have an IPC from an 03 SSS and tried that but the guage still works backwards. Zippy is sending me a PCM programed for an 03 so I'll try that before I go any further. If that doesn't work I'll have the BCM flashed for an 03. When I first put the truck on the road the dealer flashed it for an 04. The guy that rebuilds the IPC's said that when you program them you can't reprogram to an earlier year. If that's true I may have to buy a new BCM if need be. Has anyone heard of this before ?

Check what I said above. I've experienced that issue flashing the fuel system settings from a flex fuel tahoe into a non-flex fuel. The fuel level sensor output needs to be correctly calibrated.

I took the IPC to a place that rebuilds them. They said it was ok and they are all programed the same whether it is an 01 up to 06. I have an IPC from an 03 SSS and tried that but the guage still works backwards. Zippy is sending me a PCM programed for an 03 so I'll try that before I go any further. If that doesn't work I'll have the BCM flashed for an 03. When I first put the truck on the road the dealer flashed it for an 04. The guy that rebuilds the IPC's said that when you program them you can't reprogram to an earlier year. If that's true I may have to buy a new BCM if need be. Has anyone heard of this before ?

It's possible. I know that some GM controllers burn the VIN permanently into ROM and cannot be cleared out. The BCM may be one of these beasts, but I don't know for certain. If this is the case, then it would be true that a BCM can't be reprogrammed to the year before.

Now, on the brighter side of things, I have also been told that the Dealership Techs. found a way to make a module dump the VIN from it's ROM so that the module is re-usable. How this is done ... I do not know. I wish I could be of more help. :dunno: