Buying a SS Silverado!

jayo96ss

Hello folks! I have been a member here for some time and I just kinda lurk in the shadows but never posted much! The time has come for me to pick up my very own SS :cheers: and im looking at 2 right now.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_...500&cardist=226

And

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?rdpa...500&cardist=200

For all you long time SS owners as well as Techs and what not, what should I be checking for, what recalls if any, and major concerns should I watch for? I just want to be sure im armed with all the knowledge I can before going into my purchase. Thanks for any help you all may provide. :thumbs:

J

I just want to be sure im armed with all the knowledge I can before going into my purchase. Thanks for any help you all may provide. :thumbs:

Well, just use 3 senses while looking at the truck. Look, Listen and feel.

look everything over real good

listen to the truck and listen for anything out of the ordinary. ie: exhuast leak, knocks in the engine... etc.

feel the truck while you are test driving it. Feel for looseness/ clunks in the steering wheel... find a bumpy road and run it down it and make sure everything "feels right."

these are just a couple of things to do when buying a used car/truck. Hope this helps and good luck. I'm sure we all look forward to seeing you and your new truck on the site. Dont forget to look into becomming a supporting member!

-Cody :seeya:

Thanks! :D I will give all of those a try! I see your using a PCMforless tune! :cheers: I have it as well in my Impala, Brian Herter is a very good friend of my family.

Although im looking for info on my new purchase one things for sure, I will be getting a GM factory warranty no matter what! I been down the winky dinky warranty highway 1 to many times! :banghead:

Good decision to go with a GM extended Warranty. Like Cody said, typical used car once over stuff. Common problems are steering shaft klunk, front end noise on slow turns (AWD), Listen for gear howl in front or rear diff. Mine was replaced under warranty. That's all I can think of. Good luck.

I just want to be sure im armed with all the knowledge I can before going into my purchase. Thanks for any help you all may provide. :thumbs:

Well, just use 3 senses while looking at the truck. Look, Listen and feel.

look everything over real good

listen to the truck and listen for anything out of the ordinary. ie: exhuast leak, knocks in the engine... etc.

feel the truck while you are test driving it. Feel for looseness/ clunks in the steering wheel... find a bumpy road and run it down it and make sure everything "feels right."

these are just a couple of things to do when buying a used car/truck. Hope this helps and good luck. I'm sure we all look forward to seeing you and your new truck on the site. Dont forget to look into becomming a supporting member!

-Cody :seeya:

i agree

Thanks for all your help guys! I had a chance to drive a 03 last night that was listed on e-bay for 16,500. The miles were way more then I want but I just wanted to get a feel for the truck. I’m sold! :D Most def what im looking for in a truck and the 6.o was just as much fun as my SS was when I first got it.

Here’s what I found about this truck though,

1. Some front end damage! The front bumper had been clearly repainted but the repair was awful! It had more dirt in the paint then a dust pan! :P

2. As stated above it was a clear knocking sound coming from the steering. The salesman had no clue of what it was....Go figure! :dunno:

3. A faint vibration at idle! Salesman went into the whole "it has a detuned vette engine in it and there known to have that”... :dunno: This one im not sure of and hopefully someone can clear this up for me. My LT1 does have a slight vibration at idle but it may be due to the cam (845) so someone let me know if this is correct.

4. There was a roar or better yet what sounds like bad wheel bearings when coming to a stop. The salesman again blamed this on the 20's but me being a wheel and tire guy along with having 22's on my car knew better! Maybe if the truck had off road tires but with the stock Goodyear’s I call BS on his statement.

Once again I didn’t test drive and look at this truck to purchase, it was just the closes one to me and I wanted to know what to look for. If my overview seems to be right in you all eyes let me know. If you think I mistaken something that is normal please let me know that as well.

Thanks for any help you guys may provide, trust me! All your input is really helping me out.

J :thumbs:

Thanks for any help you guys may provide, trust me! All your input is really helping me out.

J :thumbs:

Well the price is right. It sounds like the typical neglected truck but probably nothing more than some handiwork could bring back to new. Front-end, as long as it's structurally sound I would not be turned off by bad paint, my guess would be $500-750 in prep & paint to get it redone but you'd have to get a quote. The faint vibration at idle story is total B.S., the factory LQ9 idle is dead steady even in gear at 600-RPM pulling the A/C so it's going to need a complete engine tune maybe even replacement injectors. Again I would not be turned off by the shaky idle *if* the cylinder leakdown is consistent (no cylinder ring/valve problems) or I was going to refresh the engine anyways. But you might be able to argue these weak points and get another grand or more off the price to offset the repair costs... Or, you can just wait on eBay until a better one turns up.

Mr. P.

Thanks for all your help guys! :cheers: I picked up the 2005 Silver Birch one listed above.

The drive home was lovely! 6.0L, all wheel drive, 345hp! Man I burnt 85 down! I love this damn thing! Got her home to meet her Brother and boy im loving the look of this!

JAYOSNEWTRUCK031.jpg

JAYOSNEWTRUCK048.jpg

JAYOSNEWTRUCK049.jpg

JAYOSNEWTRUCK052.jpg

JAYOSNEWTRUCK037.jpg

JAYOSNEWTRUCK035.jpg

Last Pics 4 now! And the first thing I did when I got back to the "A" town was go to Holt Brothers tint on Candler Rd. and get those 2 front windows blacked out...lol!

JAYOSNEWTRUCK038.jpg

JAYOSNEWTRUCK039.jpg

JAYOSNEWTRUCK040.jpg

JAYOSNEWTRUCK043.jpg

JAYOSNEWTRUCK044.jpg

JAYOSNEWTRUCK046.jpg

Now I can finally let my SS take a lil nap!

JAYOSNEWTRUCK047.jpg

You got the slowest color... LOL  :crackup:  J/K Nice looking truck....Hope you have a deep wallet the mods will blow your mind

Aint that the truth! :D You should have saw the look on my wifes face when I told her I wanted another SS! :nono:

It all worked out though, I ended up not having to put any money down so needless to say she went on a nice shopping trip! :thumbs: Nip that problem right in the bud early! I dont know what it is with women sometime, shopping seems to be a natrual memory lose! :D