Hypertech's HyperPAC

Fallen.One05

I realize alot of you are deadset against using handheld tuners... (as they really don't do much)... but have any of you seen the new features of the "new" HyperPAC? It has a touch screen, dynamometer, and many.. many other features!!! I'm personally looking forward to the "real time" engine diagnostics...

Just wondering what you're guys' views are on this product... It is kinda pricey... but i think for what it's offering....... it's worth it. :dunno:

Dyno Charts of a 2004 Silverado 1500

5.3L

http://www.hyperpac.com/get_dynochart.php?...=1431123&tp=pdf

6.0L

http://www.hyperpac.com/get_dynochart.php?...=1431539&tp=pdf

Dude ... for what you get it is rather pricey ...

We have one better than the Hyperpac, but it's designed to run on any Windows 2000/XP computer system (Mounted in-car with a touchscreen, or a laptop), and you don't get locked in to one vehicle with our software. You can get the 'real-time' generic emissions-level diagnostic data on any OBD2 vehicle you connect it to. (Which is the same stuff Hyperpac is pitching)

You also get a cool performance tool ... 0-60 (Or 70,80,90,100,etc), 60-0, 1/4 mile, HP/Torque graph analysis, etc ...

We launch ours beginning of 2007 ... and it should list for $129.

For an additional $99, we'll also provide a Powertrain Scan Tool with manufacturer-level diagnostic information (More than just OBD2 Generic) for GM vehicles.

removed non-vendor link

Edited by Holty (see edit history)

It does sound rather pricey.. (hPAC).. but.. i dunno. I was reading an article on it in this past month's Truckin' magazine. (had a 2 page article on it). It has 3 stages of performance. Each of which can be set to "on the fly".... as well as the "0-60 (Or 70,80,90,100,etc), 60-0, 1/4 mile, HP/Torque graph analysis, etc ..."

However... i have a feeling that the touch screen is why it's so pricey. =-/

Not anything "bad" but I keep hearing people dissing handhelds in favor of HPT or EFILive or mail order ... I could list on and on benefits and druthers for both as I am sure MOST could ...

For the advanced tuner I would say yes, tuning software is better ... No question ... However you still need wideband and a dyno to extract all you are able ...

For the casual person who does NOT want to spend countless hours learning HPT or EFI, some of the newer handhelds are attractive ... Maybe yes, they are programmed with a canned tune for the masses that in essence may do nothing measureable to HP, but DOES give the user the ability to re-cal for tires, gears, trans character, limited data, etc, etc ... and MOST now have the ability to upload a CUSTOM tune with the guidance of an experienced tuner ... And the ability to return to stock in 30 seconds if a dealer trip is necessary on the road ...

Not knocking anyone by all means, but it seems handhelds are all labeled and tossed into the WORTHLESS pile ...

On the mail order tunes ... What happens if you get a mail order tune, and it runs fine after some data logging, and you have properly verified you have no KR and have a safe AFR under most conditions ... Now you take a trip out of state pulling a 4,000 or 5,000# trailer, and get into some inappropriate fuel? and now you have KR peaking everywhere at engine loads over say 60% when you start climbing a grade? ... Yes, the PCM will pull timing to protect the motor to an extent, but does anyone want to be in a position like that? To jeapordize the longevity of a motor with a now mis-matched mail order tune? Things can change, and with mail order, you are stuck with that flash and have no opportunity other than maybe to carry an oem flash PCM right?

I personally have a Predator and am in good with their head tuner and with some logging with MY truck under ALL conditions, I can send him various log files and he can send me 4 or 5 tunes tailored to my needs ... Diablosport has the capability to tune any and all things as does HPT and if the tune is written right, with his 10 years of having been tuning, and their in-house dyno and tuners on the street, how is it that HIS custom tunes cannot compete with a mail order tune? I mean everyone is bragging about mail order and it makes bukoo power, but I can log some various drive time with A.Tap, email it to diablo, tell him the fuel I run and he can email me 3 tunes to test ...

Now how is mail order better than this again?

sorry to enflame, but these boards are for info, and the regulars here seem to blanket recommend mail order over a handheld OR in this case tunign software over a handheld ... You have to know what you're doing to have the software ... If you are ept, and willing the software is priceless ... But I would venture to say, as myself, I have experience TESTING tunes and LOGGING so I have a working knowledge of the PCM ... But when it comes to tuning with software, I could not compete with a custom tuning dept that has 10 yeard of R&D on what works and what doesn't ... and nominally, is friends with a few of the guys doing mail order in the first place, so secrets are shared ...

You can tell a person a PC based game has better graphics, better capability, (hardware willing), more people in the know play them, and they are for the elite gamer ... But you still have MORE Xbox games and PS2 Games being sold world wide ... why? different strokes for different folks and it depends on their ability to learn, embrace and execute ... and how MUCH TIME THEY HAVE TO DEVOTE TO SAID CAUSE ... :cheers:

my .03 cents

11H

Edited by 11H (see edit history)

I agree with 11H.

If you don't know what you're doing, especially with tuning, seek professional help.

I mean, I could help you with probably ask me any computer question you might have, and if I don't know the answer right away, I know where I can get the answer ...

Ask me to adjust a fuel curve ... ? No friggin' way ... I have no idea what I'm doing there ...

BUT, I have been taking some automotive classes ... so ... slowly I'm understanding things ...

Right on 11H ... knowledge is power. If you have it, use it. If you don't have it, don't pretend. :nono:

It does sound rather pricey.. (hPAC).. but.. i dunno. I was reading an article on it in this past month's Truckin' magazine. (had a 2 page article on it). It has 3 stages of performance. Each of which can be set to "on the fly".... as well as the "0-60 (Or 70,80,90,100,etc), 60-0, 1/4 mile, HP/Torque graph analysis, etc ..."

However... i have a feeling that the touch screen is why it's so pricey. =-/

There are several things that make it pricy. First, it has the Hypertech name on it ... big bucks there. Second, is the fact that it's locked in to just the vehicle you purchase it for. :confused: So, you have to consider your investment. Do you want to spend a grand on a blue and white touchscreen that will be dedicated to ONLY your vehicle forever? What if you sell your SS ... and say ... get a Titan. You'll have to get a whole new HyperPac ... presuming they make one for Nissans, which I don't think they do. :icon_bs::yellow_loser:

I also went to their website and it appears that they don't support the Silverado SS motor. I did a lookup and could only find the 6.0L (U) that comes in the 2500 HD for '03, '04, '05, and '06. Not the VIN (N) SS Motor. :banghead:

I was considering getting a HyperPac when I first saw it. It looked cool, and it also looked like a great investment. :thumbs:

Then, I started seeing all of the little things I COULDN'T do with it. :puke:

I'm shifting my investment towards and in-car PC instead. This way, I'll have a touchscreen I can run any Windows-based program on any time I like. I can watch DVD's while I drive (Hope no cops are reading this) I can run MS Office on it, I can have internet wherever I go, and I'll spend maybe just $400 more than a HyperPac. It'll be in full color, and if I want to move it to another vehicle, there's nothing stopping me, it'll still work. :driving::thumbs:

And then, to be able to add performance software that's in full color, has touchscreen nav., and has cool gauges, graphs, and charts for only $228 instead of $900 ... I'm there! :thumbs: