Power seats stopped working...

Grub

OK, here's the deal. Got into the truck this afternoon to put my toddler's child seat in. Used the power option of the passenger seat to move it completely forward to give me plenty of access room. Got finished and proceeded to put the seat back in position...no power. Dammit! Musta pulled a wire loose. Checked all visible connections, but no results. Got into the drivers seat...and no power to it either. I figure must be a blown fuse, right? Well, the heated seat option doesn't work either...and I think it is on a seperate circuit. Now, the truck is still under warranty so that's not the issue. I just hate to leave it with a dealer half a day if it's something I can repair. Anybody got any ideas???

the drivers side seat did the same thing on my truck.It wouldn't go forward,but the back rest would go forward and back.Haven't gotten around to fix it yet. :banghead:

Driver's side & passenger side are 2 different beasts ... :banghead:

Driver's side has it's own module that controls seat functions. Passenger doesn't, just receives signal from passenger door module for seat heater. However, passenger also has that seat pressure sensor that sends signal onto the vehicle network to enable/disable pass. airbag.

On yours, it could simply be the fwd./rev. switch. One way to verify that is to use the seat memory/easy exit switches. If the seat moves fwd./rev. when switching between the driver profiles, the module is definitely able to command the motors to move, so you know the motor is good. If the module isn't seeing the input from the switch on the side, it won't move the motor to move the seat.

Fun stuff, huh? :banghead:

What happens if you try to move the passenger mirror from the driver's side, put the passenger window down from the driver's side, or try folding the mirrors in?

Does anything on the passenger side respond to your requests?

I'll check it and get right back to you. I don't think the passenger window will go down. Wife should be back in just a few minutes.

What happens if you try to move the passenger mirror from the driver's side, put the passenger window down from the driver's side, or try folding the mirrors in?

I'll check it and get right back to you. I don't think the passenger window will go down. Wife should be back in just a few minutes.

Passenger side window will not go down. Passenger side mirror will adjust and fold in from the drivers side controls. Picture me scratching head...

Passenger side window will not go down. Passenger side mirror will adjust and fold in from the drivers side controls. Picture me scratching head...

I presume you tried pass. window from driver's side ... correct?

Try putting the pass. window down from the pass. side window switch & tell me what happens ...

Also, try activating all switches from the pass. side & let me know the end result. (Door locks- lock/unlock, window- up/down, I think you already said heater won't work ... right?)

And, please check door lock/unlock from driver's side. See if pass. door locks/unlocks.

Then, 1 last test, using the remote, lock/unlock your doors, and see if pass. courtesy lamp under the side mirror comes on (If you have that feature enabled in the Driver Information Center).

Let me know everything you find out ...

Yes - tried passenger window from drivers side controls - no power

Try putting the pass. window down from the pass. side window switch & tell me what happens ...

Attempted to put the passenger window down with the passenger side switch - no power

Also, try activating all switches from the pass. side & let me know the end result. (Door locks- lock/unlock, window- up/down, I think you already said heater won't work ... right?)

And, please check door lock/unlock from driver's side. See if pass. door locks/unlocks.

The only working funtion on the passenger side door controls is the door lock/unlock. This function also works when operated from the drivers side controls.

Then, 1 last test, using the remote, lock/unlock your doors, and see if pass. courtesy lamp under the side mirror comes on (If you have that feature enabled in the Driver Information Center).

I must not have the courtesy lamp function turned on. Neither come on. Which function turns courtesy lamp on???

Yes - tried passenger window from drivers side controls - no power

Attempted to put the passenger window down with the passenger side switch - no power

The only working funtion on the passenger side door controls is the door lock/unlock. This function also works when operated from the drivers side controls.

I must not have the courtesy lamp function turned on. Neither come on. Which function turns courtesy lamp on???

Ok ... based on the information you gave me, it's possible the Passenger Door Module appears to be 90% or better off of the vehicle network. (Or it could be getting bad voltage/data from some other place on the vehicle if there's a shorted wire somewhere)

Try this ... there are several connectors under the pass. seat. There is 1 large connector behind the pass. seat where wires come up from under the carpet and go to the different drive motors under the seat. Right next to this large connector there is a smaller connector, with 2 wires. With the vehicle ignition sw. OFF, double-check these connectors. Unplug them and re-plug them to ensure that the connection they have is good. Also, check ALL the wires coming in and going out of them. See that none of them are rubbing on metal anywhere, including the track that the seat is on. Next, under the front of the pass. seat, there is a smaller module, if you have automatic pass. airbag. This is a seat pressure sensor for enabling/disabling the pass. airbag. Check this harness with the key off. Unplug/replug it, make sure the connection is good.

Now, if after you do all this and still have no luck, the dealer should be your next stop. Reason being, the problem may or may not be related to the vehicle network, and IF it is network related, diagnosing a network problem can be very tedious, and factory diagnostic tools will have the ability to do so.

Now, if it truly is power related, I'm afraid I can't help you there, as I have no way of accessing wiring schematics for SSS's. I did check the driver's fuse panel in my 2003, but didn't see anything in there relating to seat motors. Not sure where the other fuse panels are on the truck. :dunno:

Best of luck! :cheers:

Oh, the courtesy lamp option is a feature in the Driver Information Center. It's a menu option that you can navigate to from the driver's seat, using the buttons on the steering wheel.

Thanks for your help - I owe you a beer or six sometime.