Are lockers supposed to "clunk?"

This is the first vehicle I have had with a locking rear differential. I get a clunk noise turning corners - just normal driving. I occasionally get one from a stop light too.

I have heard that lockers are "noisy," but since I have never owned one, I do not know if this is the noise they make.

Is it normal, or should I take the truck in for service? It only has about 4,800 miles on it.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

But I don't want it to blow up! Did you guys kill yours doing donuts on dry pavement or something? I don't drive my truck that rough, but I don't want to feel like I have to baby it all the time either.

I have noticed the clunking more since I got the Nelson tune. Part of the tune is supposed to firm up the shifts. I think the firmer shifts make me notice it more. I hear the clunk during first to second shift at light throttle (normal driving) quite a bit.

Maybe I should hope it breaks while still under warranty :) Only problem with that is they would put another GM locker in it.

So why does GM or American Axle Manufacturer put crappy whimpy lockers in a truck with almost 400 ft lbs of torque? Does not compute.

Mike

But I don't want it to blow up!  Did you guys kill yours doing donuts on dry pavement or something?  I don't drive my truck that rough, but I don't want to feel like I have to baby it all the time either.

I have noticed the clunking more since I got the Nelson tune.  Part of the tune is supposed to firm up the shifts.  I think the firmer shifts make me notice it more.  I hear the clunk during first to second shift at light throttle (normal driving) quite a bit.

Maybe I should hope it breaks while still under warranty :)  Only problem with that is they would put another GM locker in it.

So why does GM or American Axle Manufacturer put crappy whimpy lockers in a truck with almost 400 ft lbs of torque?  Does not compute.

Mike

some of that clunking noise could be comming from yours trans also. I've had mine to the dealer twice and they tell me that alot of that noise is normal and shouldn't worry about it