buying an used SS

rodss55

i am thinking about buying an used SS is there anything i should watch out for, are some years better than other, what can you do to get some better mpg"s around town thanks for the info

wish i could help ya. just bought mine last week. didn't find the site until after i bought it. good luck!!

:thumbs:

i am thinking about buying an used SS is there anything i should watch out for, are some years better than other, what can you do to get some better mpg"s around town thanks for the info, did they come in an 2wd model??

I love my SS I have an 05 AWD and I just sold my 04 AWD. If your looking for good gas milage this is not the truck for you. :banghead: I average 13mpg in the city driving very easy and get about 21 on the highway driving normal. A stock SS get about 12 in the city and 17 on the highway.

If you want awd then look for an 03 - 05. They stoped awd in 05 its now only 2wd. Things to watch out for they all have steering shaft issues they make noise and need to be greased every 10k miles. The front diff. also whines in most of them the mesh between the gears make noise. It doesn't cause any damage its just annoying.(thats what the dealer told me i think its b.s. :dupe:

Overall though I love my truck and will have it for a long time and its very reliable and thats not bad for a full size truck with 500 hp :driving: that i can drive year round and don't have to park for the winter. :cheers:

Edited by tonman316 (see edit history)

what years do they make the 2wd ????  thanks

Some 05's are 2wd, all 06+ are 2wd. Also the 03's and 04's come pretty much loaded but starting in 05 everything is an option leather, driver info ctr, climate control, solid back window, rear defogger, etc.

i am thinking about buying an used SS is there anything i should watch out for, are some years better than other, what can you do to get some better mpg"s around town thanks for the info, did they come in an 2wd model??

I love my SS I have an 05 AWD and I just sold my 04 AWD. If your looking for good gas milage this is not the truck for you. :banghead: I average 13mpg in the city driving very easy and get about 21 on the highway driving normal. A stock SS get about 12 in the city and 17 on the highway.

If you want awd then look for an 03 - 05. They stoped awd in 05 its now only 2wd. Things to watch out for they all have steering shaft issues they make noise and need to be greased every 10k miles. The front diff. also whines in most of them the mesh between the gears make noise. It doesn't cause any damage its just annoying.(thats what the dealer told me i think its b.s. :dupe:

Overall though I love my truck and will have it for a long time and its very reliable and thats not bad for a full size truck with 500 hp :driving: that i can drive year round and don't have to park for the winter. :cheers:

seeing that you're in Chicopee, it's good to hear what you said about the winter. i'm in Brighton and that was my big concern before buying it. do you weigh down the bed at all. i'm sure the front end has plenty of grip but how is it climbing hills?