downshifting manuely?

I hate the way my tranny shifts from 1 to 2nd most of the time,  like its slipping for a couple seconds, and then dumps into second.  I've noticed it doesn't happen with the tow/haul mode on,  and actually like how it drives in this mode way better, but the manual says it will damage the drivetrain w/o loads.  Is this a problem i should have checked out by dealer or is this normal. and how bad is it to run in tow mode? :dunno:

It just so happens the last several years, on the 1500 series trucks, there is a healthy dose of TQM on the upshift on the 1-2 ...

On the T/H empty thing ... I haven't read in the manual about damage, but I don't read the manuals much anymore as I have had 6 Gen III trucks ... If it actually says damage occur running T/H empty, and it is OK with a load, that seems counter to the events to me ... They are then saying that it is easier on the sun shell, and driveline components for it to shift in T/H with a LOAD than WITHOUT? --- How are the stresses LESS with a load? (LMAO) :crackup: ... Maybe they are worried about driveline slack take-up under low throttle inputs and being in T/H ... ???

My take is this ... I hear rumors from people that work at the Proving Grounds here, and some time ago, GM was considering removing the TH button to inhibit the consumer from being able to run it when THEY felt it was not needed... BUT, the marketing dept and higher ups said NO to leave it there because the R&D cost to incorporate it, and it being a selling icon for the platform over the competitors, it outweighed the RISK to the unweighted driveline (aka slack) ... As far as the transmission is concerned, I know many many people that run it 24/7 because it allows less slipping of friction material, and they have a lot of miles on their 1500's with no ill efects ... If it in fact says it in tha manual, I am betting they are putting it there to cover their butt on driveline abuse, and the mileage statement is there also to cover their butt with the EPA/fuel economy ...

my .02

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Man it sure doesn't take much to get those TBSS.com guys geeking-out over things does it :crazy:"

That's why they drive SUV's and not pickup trucks. A little softer than we are ... ;)

Edited by perk03z06 (see edit history)

"Man it sure doesn't take much to get those TBSS.com guys geeking-out over things does it :crazy:"

That's why they drive SUV's and not pickup trucks. A little softer than we are ...  ;)

Intresting idea...a heirarchy of manliness based on vehicle. I guess it makes sense...anyone remember the isuzu AMIGO? :crackup:

That's why they drive SUV's and not pickup trucks. A little softer than we are ...  ;)

Intresting idea...a heirarchy of manliness based on vehicle. I guess it makes sense...anyone remember the isuzu AMIGO? :crackup:

:crackup::crackup:

Ya know, the Amigo had some serious potential, it was available with 31" tires stock, short wheelbase, and nice manual deep gearing ... Motor branded by Daewoo. (built by Holden) ... I was hard on a black one back in the day ... Back then it was a tough choice between a wrangler with all their problems and an Amigo ... But to all fairness to your approach, the whole "manly" potential of the vehicle was killed by all the vivid colors available in that day in age ... I remember a mauve or pink and a mint green or some chit ...

The whole pseudo soft top JEEP alternative for me was gone after that ... I ended up buying a GMC Gypsy Sport S15 (4.3 extra cab with sport 2 tone paint and leather) ... Now that was a machine back in '88 ... Black and Red :wtf:

here is where I was reading  it

link to TBSS post and LS1tech

JFYI

Man it sure doesn't take much to get those TBSS.com guys geeking-out over things does it :crazy:

:withstupid:

yea I read the post and was confused my self as the best way to launch.

If you read the TBSS.com stuff those guys are...lame, If it were us we would have those things flying. they are too busy playing, joking,being stupid...the mods need to step up over there.

I hate the way my tranny shifts from 1 to 2nd most of the time,  like its slipping for a couple seconds, and then dumps into second.  I've noticed it doesn't happen with the tow/haul mode on,  and actually like how it drives in this mode way better, but the manual says it will damage the drivetrain w/o loads.   Is this a problem i should have checked out by dealer or is this normal. and how bad is it to run in tow mode? :dunno:

It just so happens the last several years, on the 1500 series trucks, there is a healthy dose of TQM on the upshift on the 1-2 ...

On the T/H empty thing ... I haven't read in the manual about damage, but I don't read the manuals much anymore as I have had 6 Gen III trucks ... If it actually says damage occur running T/H empty, and it is OK with a load, that seems counter to the events to me ... They are then saying that it is easier on the sun shell, and driveline components for it to shift in T/H with a LOAD than WITHOUT? --- How are the stresses LESS with a load? (LMAO) :crackup: ... Maybe they are worried about driveline slack take-up under low throttle inputs and being in T/H ... ???

My take is this ... I hear rumors from people that work at the Proving Grounds here, and some time ago, GM was considering removing the TH button to inhibit the consumer from being able to run it when THEY felt it was not needed... BUT, the marketing dept and higher ups said NO to leave it there because the R&D cost to incorporate it, and it being a selling icon for the platform over the competitors, it outweighed the RISK to the unweighted driveline (aka slack) ... As far as the transmission is concerned, I know many many people that run it 24/7 because it allows less slipping of friction material, and they have a lot of miles on their 1500's with no ill efects ... If it in fact says it in tha manual, I am betting they are putting it there to cover their butt on driveline abuse, and the mileage statement is there also to cover their butt with the EPA/fuel economy ...

my .02

thanks 11h... Now I just wish I could have it turn on automatically when started! the tranny just shifts soooo much nicer for my driving habits!

~OR~

The Suzuki Sidekick?

How about the Bronco II?

I was also going to mention the wanna-be truck: ElCamino ... but wasn't sure if I'd offend anyone in here. :jester: