Does tuning affect the warranty?

Vortec MAX

I have to take my truck in for service. It is making a noise/vibration in 4WD, so I want the dealer to check it out. I will also ask them about the clunk from the rear end - if this is normal for a locker.

My question is, do I need to have the PCM stock when I take the truck in? Would there be warranty issues if they knew I had a tune?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Edited by Vortec MAX (see edit history)

There is absolutely nothing that the dealer can read with their scan tool to see that the vehicle has been tuned and the only way they would ever alter your flash is if you had a major programming fault and they had to rewrite your entire pcm. That is a very rare instance.

I can't go into detail about the inner workings of the dealers.

What you have to understand is each dealer is independently owned and operated under a corprate name. It is their discression to either work or not work on your vehicle no matter what it is. There is a contractual obligation for them to provide warranty service and if they do not it is again their responsibilty to tell you why they choose not to. No single dealer can void your warranty that actually has to go though GM corprate. That can not be done by a single entity.

I have dealt with GM extensively in this manner beucase in 1999 GM had to do a buy back on a montecarlo z34 I had with electircal issues. I took the vehicle in 32 times in 5 months GM put 6500 miles on it trying to " Duplicate" the problems then when I wired the fuel pump to a switch so I would not get stranded they tried to void the warranty. It doesn't work the way alot of people think.

Further more in response to the PCM issue. The tech 2 can read the computer diagnoiscs and download the exsisting PCM programming it can reload new programming that is downloaded from a mainframe computer. It can not however read the binaries that actually control shift points rpm cuts ect.. The only way that can be read is with either an aftermarket editing program or by other GM computers that 9 out of 10 dealer technicians do either not use or have no access to.

The only way they will know about a shift kit or a tb stall is if you tell them. If a tech suspects something then they have to ask you why and what.. they don't just pull your trans without asking to find out.

Alot of misconceptions about dealers are becuase alot of people " heard" from one guy or another what the big bad dealer did.

Remember the most important part. You purchased the vehicle from them. From the corp. They are at your service becuase you are their customer. That doesn't mean they can push you around. And that doesn't mean you owe them anything either.

Keep that in mind no matter what car company you go to.

Alot of misconceptions about dealers are becuase alot of people " heard" from one guy or another what the big bad dealer did.

Yea I had an evo 8 and i had a dealer tell me they voided my warantee for putting in a boost gauge. Some dealers are just aSSh*les. I ended up going to another dealer to get work done.

Edited by tonman316 (see edit history)

Well, I am a chicken. I put the stock PCM back in last night. Man the shifts are nice and soft again. I kind of like them that way when I am not accelerating at a rapid pace :P

Dang oil life changed again. It's funny that oil life is the only thing stored in the PCM.

I'll put the other one back after I get the drivetrain checked out.

Thanks for all the help.

Mike

Actually, very good points made here ... HOWEVER

1. In the 2006 VMax, there are more than one Trans calibration, and the cal in the 2006 Vmax is unique ... If he has an old one, and the new one is part of a TSB, and it is coincidence with HIS clunk complaint on upshift, they MAY reflash PCM ...

2. They cannot tell what was changed in the pcm as you said, it's all binary and not one tech I know is concerned about that enough for it to be in their priorities in making money at a dealership ... HOWEVER, they can tell when the PCM was reflashed ... This may bring up a line of questioning that you might want to be prepared for if you have a related mechanical concern ...

You did the right thing by putting original PCM back ... Better safe than sorry ..

11H