need advice on factory steel wheels 16" or 17"?

2006_superado

hey guys i'm going to be getting some new (or slightly used? depending on what i find) 20" tire's for my truck soon???.. i can't afford to burn'em up anymore :cry::D there just a little life left in'em.

so i'm looking into getting a pair of 16" or 17" steel wheels for the rear when i go to the track.

my questions is what would be best?, for what reason?, and what do any of you use?...

to get a little more specific i'm not looking into slicks (at least not yet) i'm trying to keep this on a budget. i know going with a smaller tire will help et's but it will also want to break lose easier right?.. so should i go with the 16x6.5 if so what tire size, brand, would you recomend for good traction?.

or is the 17x7 a better choice?, if so why?... and again what tire size, brand?.

my truck doe's have a 17x7 spare with a new 265/70 bridgestone dueler a/t as a spare, if i get one more like that would it work well?, or would i better of with another size/brand?.

any help at all would be appreciated :D

You're not going to know until you shop for tires.  I'd go with whatever one is wider, and 7" wide is not enough IMO especially for a 2WD truck.  You need MEATS back there! :driving:

Mr. P. :)

i've got 295/45 yokohama avs st's right now (summer tires) there great but wearing thin and it's gonna rain soon, there fine in the rain (at least last year when they had more thread) but when it snowed they felt like slicks :banghead: so i'm looking for a good all season tire for the 20's (thinking about michelin cross terrains?) but need something for the track?.. i know there are a few good brands that make a 275/60/17... i could probably get some 16x8's for the back, and tire rack has bfg ta's in 295/50's but that starts to get pricey, $124 a tire without shipping or mount/balance. goodyear eagle gt II's have 285/60/17's for $113 but i have'nt heard anything good about them, and i hate the goodyear eagles that came with my malibu :banghead:

You're not going to know until you shop for tires.  I'd go with whatever one is wider, and 7" wide is not enough IMO especially for a 2WD truck.  You need MEATS back there! :driving:

Mr. P. :)

i've got 295/45 yokohama avs st's right now (summer tires) there great but wearing thin and it's gonna rain soon, there fine in the rain (at least last year when they had more thread) but when it snowed they felt like slicks :banghead: so i'm looking for a good all season tire for the 20's (thinking about michelin cross terrains?) but need something for the track?.. i know there are a few good brands that make a 275/60/17... i could probably get some 16x8's for the back, and tire rack has bfg ta's in 295/50's but that starts to get pricey, $124 a tire without shipping or mount/balance. goodyear eagle gt II's have 285/60/17's for $113 but i have'nt heard anything good about them, and i hate the goodyear eagles that came with my malibu :banghead:

pm fordsareslow. he has a really good setup for 2wd trucks at the track. i will also be getting a similar setup to his. 16X8's i think with 29X11.5X16 dr i believe.

do you guys think a 275/55/17 would have enough grip i could get them for less then $110 each at tirerack (various brands) slicks will run me at least $163 (jegs catalog) plus i would have to get 16x10 wheels for the rear and that won't be cheap either i was'nt looking at spending well over $500 for the rear track use only tires (remember i also have to buy new everday tires for my 20's).

all i need is 1 more 17 and two wide tires i also found 285/60/17's at tirerack??

this is getting confusing :confused: it might make better sense just to replace the rear 20's whenever i burn'em out :dunno: but is'nt the consensus that the bigger wheels slow the truck down because the heavier rotating mass?.

any other idea's or insight would be appreciated.

you dont need 16 X 10's. 16 X 8 is enough to put a 29 wide slick on the rim. im not sure what kind of traction problems you have but the only tire thats really gonna let me hook up is a drag radial of some sort. and im assuming your in a similar boat being 2wd.

you dont need 16 X 10's.  16 X 8 is enough to put a 29 wide slick on the rim.  im not sure what kind of traction problems you have but the only tire thats really gonna let me hook up is a drag radial of some sort.  and im assuming your in a similar boat being 2wd.

i'm guessing you mean 29x10.5 or something like that?. but either way if it won't fit on a 16x7 wheel (easy and cheap to get) then it's not worth it for me, at least not yet. i think i'm going to try the 17's and see what happens from there?.

but thanks for the help :thumbs: