New To Forum.What Are Some Of The SS's Downfalls

hey im new to the forum but im very interested in picking up an 03 ss ive been admiring.i was just curious what some of the known problems if any there are with these trucks.has anyone had any major engine/transmission problems under 100k.and what kind of problems should i expect with this truck.i love the truck and didnt realize how appealing and yet fast u can make em.but before i go ahead and buy one any info learned from others would be great.thanks

* engine - world class, should find zero problems if it was maintained at all

* tranny - is a common source of trouble in lightly modified SS's, so check it well

* transfer case - bulletproof. Assuming again it was maintained.

* front diff - dropping like flies, very common to have noisy or outright failing front diff bearings :(

* steering column - GM recall, take it to a dealer for replacement if it wasn't already done

* tailgate cables - were recalled in 2004

* front brakes - not big enough for the truck, plan on an upgrade; check for warpage, abuse, etc

* climate control - make sure it is working right, but there have been few issues

* rear windows - leak air like a SOB, they all do it but you can use that to buy the truck cheaper

* exterior cladding - make sure that none of it is peeling off the truck, it's only held on with tape & screws

The rest is just wear and tear - best of luck on your truck shopping. I've got a '03 AWD and love it.

Mr. P. :)

edit - and don't forget to check the seat heaters!

Edited by misterp (see edit history)

* engine - world class, should find zero problems if it was maintained at all

* tranny - is a common source of trouble in lightly modified SS's, so check it well

* transfer case - bulletproof.  Assuming again it was maintained.

* front diff - dropping like flies, very common to have noisy or outright failing front diff bearings :(

* steering column - GM recall, take it to a dealer for replacement if it wasn't already done

* tailgate cables - were recalled in 2004

* front brakes - not big enough for the truck, plan on an upgrade; check for warpage, abuse, etc

* climate control - make sure it is working right, but there have been few issues

* rear windows - leak air like a SOB, they all do it but you can use that to buy the truck cheaper

* exterior cladding - make sure that none of it is peeling off the truck, it's only held on with tape & screws

The rest is just wear and tear - best of luck on your truck shopping.  I've got a '03 AWD and love it.

Mr. P. :)

edit - and don't forget to check the seat heaters!

:withstupid: Well said again by MR P. :thumbs:

my biggest downfall is having to wait for it to be shipped to the UK, i left it at the shippers on monday and have to wait till the end of this month or early january for it to arrive :tear::tear::tear:

apart from that i can't wait to get driving it...

i've only driven it on a couple of occasions and not added many miles yet but SS's are awesome :driving: do it you wont regret it

eamonn

Edited by eamonnschevy (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...
:withstupid:  Oh, and speeding tickets are also an issue! :thumbs:

that and i've noticed that when people don't get out of your way, and you know that you can get out of your way in a hurry, symptoms of road rage can show.

ie: aggressive driving and speeding

but then again, once you're in the clear, they slow down as fast as they accelerate.