WTF? Carbon build up at 34,500?

jayo96ss

General idea of what happened... The Truck was idling kinda weird under normal stop and go traffic.. While sitting on an incline at Ideal the engine sounded as if it was bogging down and the tach was jumping around like crazy..

Drop it off this morning and dealer calls to say it's carbon build up and it needs a 130.00 service not covered under warranty. :banghead:

WTF? Anyone else have this problem?

Edited by jayo96ss (see edit history)

I agree with Krambo, Sea Foam will cure what ails ya. Knock that carbon right out of there. Great for outboards too . I run it all the time through my VMax. Makes a good stabiizer too. Cost you $3-$4 for a can. Just follow the directions on the label.

So it is a common problem with these engines correct? I know all about the sea foam, I run it in my Impala ss every so many miles. I also have access to a motorvac machine as well.. Hmmmm, you live and learn everyday. I just figured with low miles that seemed like a crock of s@#t the dealer was trying to pull on me.

On a side note I havent driven my Impala since I bought my truck and maaaaaan, when I got in that thing today it was like night and day! I want to do a 6.0 swap into the Impala now.. It just seems so slow. I havent done much to it but the little things I have done feel nothing like my truck!

I love my SS Silverado! :driving:

So it is a common problem with these engines correct? I know all about the sea foam, I run it in my Impala ss every so many miles. I also have access to a motorvac machine as well.. Hmmmm, you live and learn everyday. I just figured with low miles that seemed like a crock of s@#t the dealer was trying to pull on me.

On a side note I havent driven my Impala since I bought my truck and maaaaaan, when I got in that thing today it was like night and day! I want to do a 6.0 swap into the Impala now.. It just seems so slow. I havent done much to it but the little things I have done feel nothing like my truck!

I love my SS Silverado! :driving:

It's fairly common among most engines. The pistons and combustion chamber pick up a coating of carbon which, if bad enough, will result in poor drivability and can be a cause of detonation.

Like Krambo said, pick up some seafoam and clean that sucker out.

I am having the same problem and have made appoinment for the same thinng tommorrow morning. Mine will only cost $140, its just too cold out side to do it myself. this will be my second time having this done, I clean my air filter with each oil change, i though it was because the down tube was sucking up slushy snow and other crap from the winter. Any ideas?

The dealer told me it was not covered under warranty since I had the Volant, and told me that was the casue of the carbon build up.  :dunno:

I have a Volant CAI also and they still took care of it for me. Its called taking care of your customers. Some dealerships are good at it, and then some aren't so good at it. My SS is at the dealership as we speak. The drivers seat stopped moving and they are taking care of it. They gave me a brand new Tahoe to drive as a loaner because I mentioned that my wife wants one. :driving: