Physics Problem

Black2003SS

now the real kicker, if your in a giant wind tunnel and their is a tail wind exactly equal to the planes forward velocity, will the plane take off? 

Yes it will. Velocities are vectors and you add the two vectors together. V1+V2 = delta V. If V1 = V2, then you can assume delta V = 2*V1. The plane would travel theoretically at double velocity and still fly.

Edited by Black2003SS (see edit history)

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:repost: Yeah we already had that one.  All of us got it wrong except Big O  :mad:  :jester:

Mr. P. :)

Hey you missed someone :seeya:

I don't understand where these people think the treadmill has anything to do with air speed. It's moving the damn wheels! So what! It's not moving the air there for the same amount of thrust can be achieved and the wheels will just spin faster than they would if it was on stationary ground.

OK OK...even if there was a moving ground...the aircraft would still move. It is being propelled by the thrust of the engines and not by the movement of the wheels therefore the aircraft will still move down the runway like normal no matter how fast the conveyor is moving therfore the plane would still take off.

Edited by 56chevywagon (see edit history)

:repost: Yeah we already had that one.  All of us got it wrong except Big O  :mad:  :jester:

Mr. P. :)

lol ... I'm touched that you remembered :cool: ... man reading this topic gets me all worked up again ... :D

If i remember right it was several pages long on theories ... it was a good read.

Yeah I remember that taking up my whole afternoon just reading on it... :crazy:

:cheers:

I talked to one of my engineering teachers about this problem today. He said the plane will not take of unless the wind conditions are right. He said the turbins give the power for take off and that doesnt depend on wheel speed BUT the design of the wing is what makes a plane able to lift off. It is designed for the pressure on the bottom of the wing to be greater than on top of the wing which can be adjusted by the rutters. Unless that pressure on the bottom gets to that point from the resistance of the air flowing against it it will never be able to take off unless the headwind is strong enough to reach the point needed for lift off.

I talked to one of my engineering teachers about this problem today. He said the plane will not take of unless the wind conditions are right. He said the turbins give the power for take off and that doesnt depend on wheel speed BUT the design of the wing is what makes a plane able to lift off. It is designed for the pressure on the bottom of the wing to be greater than on top of the wing which can be adjusted by the rutters. Unless that pressure on the bottom gets to that point from the resistance of the air flowing against it it will never be able to take off unless the headwind is strong enough to reach the point needed for lift off.

:dunno: No one said anything about wind. It only states that it's on a treadmill there for it will take off and no one said anything about the wings being different. This is a conventional plane we are talking about here. So yes it will take off!

:dunno: No one said anything about wind. It only states that it's on a treadmill there for it will take off and no one said anything about the wings being different. This is a conventional plane we are talking about here. So yes it will take off!

Right I know there was nothing menntioned about wind. I was stating that he told me unless there is that high amount of head wind it wont lift off due to the plane is basically just sitting still. Second as far as wings go all wings for any plane from conventional to commercial are all designed to do the same thing and lift the plane. They work on the principle of pressure under the wind is great enough for lift. He explained all this better but he did do some engineering research in aeronautics.

Your engineering professor either did not understand the question or he is a total fool.

Let me ask you this, if the dam plane is flying in the air with its wheels up, not down, what the hell is providing the force?

DUH, the turbines or props!!! The turbines act as a force on the air and the plane, not the tredmill. Also, if the plane sits still on the tredmill, whats th tredmills speed? Duh...ZERO. So inorder for the tredmill to have speed, so must the plane!!! Hello...not rocket science folks.

God I hope someone of you never become engineers...no wonder a bottle of medication is so dam hard for an adult to open...lol.