On-head valvespring tool???

Hey guys, I am changing-out the valvesprings on my Pontiac 428 and wanted to ask where you got the lever-type tool that uses the rocker arm stud as a fulcrum to squeeze down on the retainer... is it called the Moore Performance valvespring compressor? :dunno:

TIA -

Mr. P. :)

Here you go.  Slp's tool.  Says it works on most heads.

http://www.slponline.com/view_product.asp?P=53306

53306-1.jpg

Nope, I already own one of those and my heads have dual springs, the tool only grips the outer winding not the inner. I need a tool that compresses both. I'm looking for one that is kinda like a specialized crowbar -

Mr. P.

blue point has a nice tool part number ya3271. you clip it on to the springs then turn the top to compress it. that way there is no chance of bending a stud like with the lever type ones. :cool: good luck man. :thumbs:

btw, this is all available through your local snap on dealer or snap-on online.

:withstupid: I don't like those lever on head types either. I broke 2 studs on my '77 TA 400 heads with the one from NAPA. I'd much rather use something more like this one on EBay... Ebay LS1 style. Check the stud hole size and the keeper diameter and you should be OK.

Thanks for the feedback - I've got 7/16 ARP studs on my heads, I'd hate to have to buy a whole new set of those to replace a broken stud!

I have one made by KD Tools that I've had for years. Works great on Pontiac heads. I assume you're using air to hold the valves in place. I got mine at Pep Boys years ago. Or if you're in the area I can dig it out for you.
BITCHIN! Yes, can I get it from you at your work in Lewisville on Wednesday morning? I already have the air-hold fitting.

I have one made by KD Tools that I've had for years. Works great on Pontiac heads. I assume you're using air to hold the valves in place. I got mine at Pep Boys years ago. Or if you're in the area I can dig it out for you.
BITCHIN! Yes, can I get it from you at your work in Lewisville on Wednesday morning? I already have the air-hold fitting.

I'll look for it tonight.