New 6 speed

Ok when is someone going to take it upon their self and convert their truck with the new 6 speed automatic. I see alot of good things could come out of this. You could run 4.10 gears and still pull out 19-20 on the highway(not exact). Just wondering what everyone is thinking about these. I would love to swap in a 433 LS7 that's NA running 4.10 with this 6 speed. that would be lovely.

open for Discussion for INFO!

Well my first question would be if the tranny uses its own dedicated computer module - if so then maybe we could program our PCM to think it has a manual tranny and somehow hookup the TCM for the 6spd so it can control the trans on its own :dunno:

Mr. P. :)

From another board -

6L80E PART# 12491349 OPTION CODE MYC ~ 212 LB. WET

1stGear Ratio:4.027 2ndGear Ratio:2.364 3rd Gear Ratio:1.532

4th Gear Ratio:1.152 5thGear Ratio: 0.852 6thGear Ratio:0.667

Reverse

The Hydra-matic 6-Speed RWD is a fully automatic, six-speed, rear-wheel drive, electronic-controlled transmission. It consists primarily of a four-element torque converter, an integral fluid pump and converter housing, a single and double planetary gear set, friction and mechanical clutch assemblies, and a hydraulic pressurization and control system.

The transmission is equipped with DSC(Driver Shift Control) which is a "manual" mode, and utilizes rocker switches on the steering the driver may select upshifts or downshifts An upshift is requested by pushing either + button. A downshift is requested by pulling either + button rearward toward the driver.

THE 6L80E WILL BE THE SAME SIZE AS A 4L60E.

IT WILL UTILIZE THE SAME DRIVE SHAFT (C6 USE'S 30 SPLINE TAHOE USE'S 27 SPLINE).

AND IT HAS THE SAME MOUNTING POINT AS A 4L60E

IT HAS A 30 SPLINE CONVERTER (SAME AS 4L60E)

I don't see why one could not be installed and run in full manual mode; the trick would be making the automatic modes work.

Hmmm - this may not be that hard, just read that the TCM is embedded in the transmission valve body.

Mr. P.

Edited by misterp (see edit history)

Well that's awesome that it's the same size, but I guess we wil not know how the CPU works until someone try's it or a tech guru from GM goes for it. This is very interesting. Anyone know how much they cost and what kind of power stock they can take? Is it or can it be bullet proofed like the 4l80E to 800-1000 HP?

Ok when is someone going to take it upon their self and convert their truck with the new 6 speed automatic.  I see alot of good things could come out of this.  You could run 4.10 gears and still pull out 19-20 on the highway(not exact).  Just wondering what everyone is thinking about these.  I would love to swap in a 433 LS7 that's NA running 4.10 with this 6 speed.  that would be lovely. 

open for Discussion for INFO!

i have 4.10 gears stock, and i always get better then 20 mpg.

only time it drops below that is when i'm stepping into it, otherwise with cruise on at 70mph i get 20+ coming back to lancaster from van nuys (3000ft elevation) and going to van nuys i get 23+ driving habits have everything to do with fuel economy :cool: of course when i'm in a rush and or race someone i get WAY less :banghead:

as far as swapping in this 6 speed auto, it sounds great :dunno: but i'll wait until someone else trys it, gets it to work, and proves it to be stronger then my 4L70e :D

what size tires do you have on your truck? that could make those 4.10 turn into highway gears(Ratio change) like if you went to a little larger tire it could make them feel more like the 3.42 in their. I have 3.42 in my new truck with a radix and stock tires and I get about 20 MPG but I run it 80+ on the highway.

what size tires do you have on your truck?  that could make those 4.10 turn into highway gears(Ratio change) like if you went to a little larger tire it could make them feel more like the 3.42 in their.  I have 3.42 in my new truck with a radix and stock tires and I get about 20 MPG but I run it 80+ on the highway.

i actualy have a shorter tire (295/45/20) then original it's 30.4" original was 31.6"

my guess is my gear is equal to 4.25-4.30

i had a 03 5.3 3.73's and got 21mpg going to texas and i was'nt driving as easy 80-85mph and passing when needed... remember i only get that type of economy when on cruise at no more then 70mph. hope that helps.

• 1 month later...

Any new info on this? 3 months later? :dunno:

My dad and I are in the process of buying two transmission shops (dad retired and wants something to do and I'm tired of working for someone else). When we get those up and running (june-july timeframe to open the first one), I will have some spare time to tinker after hours and just might tackle this project. Lets get some more research going. There has to be a heavy duty Goodwrench mechanic out there that can give us the skinny on the new trans and how it actually works.

One thing I am concerned about with the paddle shift is how it is actually controlled. If the signal has to go through the vehicle PCM, we may be out of luck. The paddles are electronic, not mechanical shifters and hwo they are wired to the trans will dictate if they are useful or not. I for one am not down with swapping out a steering wheel to do this either...

Any new info on this? 3 months later? :dunno:

My dad and I are in the process of buying two transmission shops (dad retired and wants something to do and I'm tired of working for someone else). When we get those up and running (june-july timeframe to open the first one), I will have some spare time to tinker after hours and just might tackle this project. Lets get some more research going. There has to be a heavy duty Goodwrench mechanic out there that can give us the skinny on the new trans and how it actually works.

One thing I am concerned about with the paddle shift is how it is actually controlled. If the signal has to go through the vehicle PCM, we may be out of luck. The paddles are electronic, not mechanical shifters and hwo they are wired to the trans will dictate if they are useful or not. I for one am not down with swapping out a steering wheel to do this either...

Pre 97 TCM and ECM combined into one unit called a PCM. Now engine and trans have seperate controllers at least for the 6L80 applications.