I believe I made a decision

r8rs4lf

350 are cool and can definatly make some good power, it depends what you want out of it . imo i would do a big block 454 or 502 with a healthy cam and leave it at that. , i just love how a big block sounds with a lope.

Whats the attraction with a big block? It just adds more weight to the car. the same size if not bigger engine can be had out of a small block making more power for cheaper and it's lighter. IMO a big block is a boat anchor.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that looks like a real sweet setup. i don't know how mechancally inclined you are but for that price tag, you could have a much sicker motor if you built it yourself. Also fuel injection is something to consider for reliability and power for that matter. either way, love to hear what you decide to do. good luck man.

there is just something about a big cube big block that is cool , but now you can build ls motor to have the same cubes and alot lighter, i know what you mean jon . i know i would never put a big block in my truck , but when i get a 68 camaro it will either have a big block or a 500 cube ls engine in it.

My buddy has a ZZ4 350 GM create motor in his 66 Chevelle, very nice motor but very expensive for what it is... I can get resale pricing on those through a GM dealer, I don't know what my cost is compared to the street price, but I can look into it if you like.

Whats the attraction with a big block? It just adds more weight to the car. the same size if not bigger engine can be had out of a small block making more power for cheaper and it's lighter. IMO a big block is a boat anchor.

I agree, however, it is hard to duplicate the torque of a big block and the sound... also, we all know that there is no replacement for dispacement... except boost. Even then a blown BB has the potential of some serious power. But with this application, the small block would be the best route IMO.

that looks like a real sweet setup.  i don't know how mechancally inclined you are but for that price tag, you could have a much sicker motor if you built it yourself.  Also fuel injection is something to consider for reliability and power for that matter.  either way, love to hear what you decide to do.  good luck man.

Ya, I think I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but not for this. I've never built a motor and I don't think I want to start with this one plus I don't have the room or the time to do it right now. I'd love to learn one day from someone who knows how to though.

My buddy has a ZZ4 350 GM create motor in his 66 Chevelle, very nice motor but very expensive for what it is...  I can get resale pricing on those through a GM dealer, I don't know what my cost is compared to the street price, but I can look into it if you like.

That would be great. I was looking at the 383/425, ZZ 383ci I believe is what they call it.

GM PART # 12498772

Let me know!

Thanks

what about going with an LSx type engine. Here is my plan, along the same lines...old car gets 6.0L...get the kinks fixed and car running good. Swap your LQ9 into the car and start building the 6.0 into 6.7 or 7.0 and put that back into the SS. now both your cars have computers and most parts are interchagable. and you should put down some good power. JMO

that looks like a real sweet setup.  i don't know how mechancally inclined you are but for that price tag, you could have a much sicker motor if you built it yourself.  Also fuel injection is something to consider for reliability and power for that matter.  either way, love to hear what you decide to do.  good luck man.

Ya, I think I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but not for this. I've never built a motor and I don't think I want to start with this one plus I don't have the room or the time to do it right now. I'd love to learn one day from someone who knows how to though.

My buddy has a ZZ4 350 GM create motor in his 66 Chevelle, very nice motor but very expensive for what it is...  I can get resale pricing on those through a GM dealer, I don't know what my cost is compared to the street price, but I can look into it if you like.

That would be great. I was looking at the 383/425, ZZ 383ci I believe is what they call it.

GM PART # 12498772

Let me know!

Thanks

It's really not that hard. Just take your time, and make sure everything is clean. The hardest part is picking the right combination to get the power you want. Either way in your case, the GMPP or the M&R one, someone has done the homework for you. I would go with the M&R one. That one will sound pretty nas-t.

Do the 383, and you can find a better deal than the GM crate engines, really high-priced for what you get IMO. And I have always had poor luck with BBC, so I would not go that route unless you go BIG, like 502 or larger.

Mr. P.

what about going with an LSx type engine.  Here is my plan, along the same lines...old car gets 6.0L...get the kinks fixed and car running good.  Swap your LQ9 into the car and start building the 6.0 into 6.7 or 7.0 and put that back into the SS.  now both your cars have computers and most parts are interchagable.  and you should put down some good power. JMO

I don't want to deal with any computer stuff. I want old school, old school! :thumbs::driving:

Uhhh HMMM... carbed 6.0  With a cam headers ...
:withstupid: This is a really good idea IMO.

or do this and you can swap the long blocks to up the displacement in the truck...

From what I have read it seems like either way will cost about the same...carb or injection...

keep us posted with pics...

350 are cool and can definatly make some good power, it depends what you want out of it . imo i would do a big block 454 or 502 with a healthy cam and leave it at that. , i just love how a big block sounds with a lope.

:withstupid:

i'm definitely with chase on the 502, my uncle had a show car 1955 bel air with a 502 and it was by far the sickest car i have ever riden in. his son also has a show truck '92 454 SS slammed on the floor and all show trucked out.

bigger is always better :thumbs:

ES :flag: