Want an SS

jballer323

Hey guys,

I am a new member and I am a huge fan of the SS. I am always trying to convince my dad to get me and SS for my first car. Do any of you guys have any ideas on how I could convince him.. His main concern is gas mileage.

Any ideas will help. :)

well if his main concern is gas milage, this truck probably isnt for you. i have a 4.8 only and im at the pump alot. if you do highway milage not bad but im always out running around town and the gas sucks. also depend on the way you drive, if your like me and the foot is always to the floor the gas inst good. how to get your dad to by you a ss do what i did for my truck. me and my dad made a deal that if i made high honors for a whole year he would by me any car/truck i wanted. of course i did it anyways . but what he didnt expect was after he bought my truck i gave him a card with the same amount of cash he bought my truck for., and a explanation of why i wanted this truck for myself. if your close with your dad go halfs or something. or buy it yourself!!!!

Edited by 04silveradoclone07ss (see edit history)

sometimes you feel better about yourself if you work for your what you want. my mom told me when i bought my 88 bronco 2 and my 99 s10 that "i have to crawl before i can walk". i didn't want to wait but eventually i got what i wanted. my mom never helped me with my car purchases just because she never had the money to, and im happy she didn't help me.

Alan

Edited by wody (see edit history)

If hes forking over the payment per month, I think you should respect him and his decision of what he feels the best vehicle is for you, especially if he paying for your insurance and gas every month.

My parents taught me at a young age you need to work for what you want in life, because once you get in the real life (away from the cushion of mom and dads bank account) you wont always have someone there to bail you out when you need money.

Get a job, and make the payments yourself which will be in the range of $300-$600 depending on your credit and if the truck is new or used and the loan terms

Not to rain on your parade but I would not advise an ss for a first car(unless you guys are rich),here is my reasoning

1.I feel it takes a few years experiance to properly learn how to drive a car,watch out for the crazies driving around and handle the horsepower a ss can make,granted its no corvette but some times it makes you act like a leadfoot and if your not careful it will get you in trouble.

2.At almost 3.00 a gallon for fuel you will be visiting the fuel pumps alot,especially with a leadfoot,so if you have a job a good portion of your paycheck will go for fuel.

3.your insurance will be sky high(assuming your 16yrs old).

4.I sure would hate to see a beautiful ss go to its grave early do to an inecperianced driver,it is a lot of truck and can catch you off gaurd.

5.Good luck either way.

i think everyones first car/ truck/ whatever should have a standard 5 speed. its confusing to learn but you pay attention to a lot more. at least thats the way i was. plus a 5 speed with a beater is fun. also if you don't know how to drive a manual and you all of a sudden are thrown into a situation where you need to know how to right then and there, like maybe a trip to the hospital or something else urgent. i'd rather know before then. :driving:

Alan

Not to rain on your parade but I would not advise an ss for a first car(unless you guys are rich),here is my reasoning

1.I feel it takes a few years experiance to properly learn how to drive a car,watch out for the crazies driving around and handle the horsepower a ss can make,granted its no corvette but some times it makes you act like a leadfoot and if your not careful it will get you in trouble.

2.At almost 3.00 a gallon for fuel you will be visiting the fuel pumps alot,especially with a leadfoot,so if you have a job a good portion of your paycheck will go for fuel.

3.your insurance will be sky high(assuming your 16yrs old).

4.I sure would hate to see a beautiful ss go to its grave early do to an inecperianced driver,it is a lot of truck and can catch you off gaurd.

5.Good luck either way.

:withstupid: learn how to drive, show your parents you can handle the responsibilities of owning a car.

I wouldn't recomend this truck for your first vehicle for many reasons. First, you don't really have any experience taking care of a vehicle, why start with an expensive one. Second, kids are jealous pricks, more than likely someone will key or break into your vehicle at school, seen it 100 times. Third, it is a lot of horse power for a first vehicle, I don't care how responsible you are, you WILL take the truck to its limits (I know I would). My first vehicle was an 98 S-10, I lowered it and threw some 18's on it and it was a nice little truck. Maybe try something a long these lines for a first vehicle.

Also think of this ... if you start with the SS ... where do you go from there?

I know I started with a $200 beater and worked my way up to a nice ride by working hard and taking care of my previous rides. My parents never helped with my vehicles except paying my insurance. I know I sure appreciated every upgrade I got becuase I started in the bottom of the barrel.

My first vehicle was a 76 chevy longbed. It wasnt much to loook at but I was proud to have it when some kids still had to ride the bus after they got their liscence. I am about to be 30 years old and finally was able to get me an SS. Be Patient is the best advice I can give you.

No offense friend, but I'm with most of the other people on this topic.

This truck has alot of ponies to keep under control, and remembering the way I was when I first got my license, I'm glad I didn't have a nice ride. My first car was a 1987 LeBaron, that I bought with my own saved money, from working $5.15/hr. and giving almost 15% of it to Uncle Sam.

Although that car ended up needing more money to keep it running, I was very particular about maintaining it. It was always clean, oil changed routinely, because if I didn't take care of it, no one was going to get me a new car. I paid my own insurance, and my own fuel. But, the things I learned about having a used first vehicle were:

1). I appreciated it. Although it was not the Corvette I wish I could have had, I did cry the day I got T-boned in it. Not because I got hurt, or because I didn't have another car, rather that car had become a part of me. It was like having to shoot my favorite horse because it's legs got broken. :tear:

2). The car had character. My character. There were markings on it/in it where I bumped a tree, scuffed a curb, opened the door too wide at the gas pumps, dropped a ciggie cherry on the seat ... all these things will happen as you learn how to take care of a car. Which, a leather seat in an SS would be expensive to get repaired if you got cig. holes in it ...

3). If I wrecked it because I was driving like an ass, or someone hit me, or I hit a deer, or I went hopping through a field with it ... it was my own fault, and no one else's. It was also up to me to fix. You'll be less likely to have as much fun in a car that you want to keep looking nice vs. a car that you enjoy beating around in ...

4). Cost of ownership. When I had that car, gas was less than a dollar a gallon. It was nice only having to pay $16 to fill up, and have that tank last a week. My insurance wasn't too bad ... like $80 or $90/mo. To own and maintain an SS, I can honestly say that I spend close to $500/mo. in gas ($2.21/gal here in SC for 93) and another $80/mo. on insurance. Your insurance, will indeed be much higher.

Just my $.02