1st gear on a SSS 2wd

1 Fast SS

Maybe someone can help. I have a 06' SSS 2wd, and my first gear really sucks. The SSS is suppose to be a launch monster. I've been testing my launch, but nothing seems to help. I've got a custom tune, but I can't remember if it did this before the tune or if it was after I installed my Volant CAI. I've won all my races from 3 to 10 trucks, but they always get the jump on me. WTH?

Here's what I do:

I'll get the rpms up to about 1800 or so while doing a brake TQ with the TC on. It will bog for a split second and then launch. I've even tried it with the TC off, still the same thing. I cleaned my Volant filter which was dirty, but it still does it. I just thought of something while typing. I installed a custom ram air from the Volant to the air dam. Do you guys think it may not be getting enough air into the system off the line? I'll try and take it off, and see what happens. Some of you have suggested that it might be in the TQ management, but my tuner says no. What do you think?

what chase said is true, the 2wd are not as you put it "launch monsters" as much as a awd, well good luck with your test runs and dont smoke your tranny :nono: trying to hold that high of rev all the time, sooner or later something has to give :thumbs:

p.s. you can do burn outs, luckyyyyyy

Maybe someone can help. I have a 06' SSS 2wd, and my first gear really sucks. The SSS is suppose to be a launch monster. I've been testing my launch, but nothing seems to help. I've got a custom tune, but I can't remember if it did this before the tune or if it was after I installed my Volant CAI. I've won all my races from 3 to 10 trucks, but they always get the jump on me. WTH?

Here's what I do:

I'll get the rpms up to about 1800 or so while doing a brake TQ with the TC on. It will bog for a split second and then launch. I've even tried it with the TC off, still the same thing. I cleaned my Volant filter which was dirty, but it still does it. I just thought of something while typing. I installed a custom ram air from the Volant to the air dam. Do you guys think it may not be getting enough air into the system off the line? I'll try and take it off, and see what happens. Some of you have suggested that it might be in the TQ management, but my tuner says no. What do you think?

not sure how yours reacts but mine doesnt launch any better when i power brake it. just harder on the tranny imo. if i launch from straight idle or from say 1500-2000 i am just completely spinning tires so if you find a solution id be interested too. only solution i can come up with is caltracs/slicks which im in the process of ordering.

put some 4.10's in the rear and some wider tires.

my thoughts exactly! I have been pondering the same thing. No idea why they decided to go with 3:73's in 06 anyway, but I am fairly certine it took a big chunk out of the performance.

All 2wd's have 3.73's and all awd's have 4.10's the 2wd came out in 05. My VHO came with 3.73's and I installed 4.10's and am very happy with them.

I also have an 06 SSS and installed my new pcm today tuned by Bryan and I called him about that and he said he hasn't been able to come up with a solution to stop that bog down from the get go but it was rainy outside here so the streets are a little slippery which maybe causing it to exagerate a little. But 2nd gear more than makes up for it. :driving:

Edited by brobradh77 (see edit history)

I also have an 06 SSS and installed my new pcm today tuned by Bryan and I called him about that and he said he hasn't been able to come up with a solution to stop that bog down from the get go but it was rainy outside here so the streets are a little slippery which maybe causing it to exagerate a little. But 2nd gear more than makes up for it. :driving:

hahahaha sucker, sorry but you delt with him.

you shouldnt have any bog what so ever from a launch if the tune is correct but if tune is off i can easily see that. and since you got the poor tune from bryan you get what you paid for and thats absolute garbage. you were better off with a stock tune

So then I'm not crazy, cuz you guys are having the same problem? I wasn't thinking about my tranny when doing this, but I will be in the future. I tried another way today, I kept the TC on and hit the tow/haul button without a brake TQ, it made a little difference but not much. Is there anyone out there that still has their stock intake on, having the same problem? I was thinking about putting my stock intake back on and seeing if it would make a difference. I also have an Air Hog cleanible filter with it. I know that second gear makes up for it, but it still sucks. Why didn't GM install a min. of 400 HP and a 4:10 axle in these SS's anyway. I mean damn it man, its a specialty truck! Give us what we pay for. Now I have to put down 600 duckies to install a 4:10, what a drag.

So then I'm not crazy, cuz you guys are having the same problem? I wasn't thinking about my tranny when doing this, but I will be in the future. I tried another way today, I kept the TC on and hit the tow/haul button without a brake TQ, it made a little difference but not much. Is there anyone out there that still has their stock intake on, having the same problem? I was thinking about putting my stock intake back on and seeing if it would make a difference. I also have an Air Hog cleanible filter with it. I know that second gear makes up for it, but it still sucks. Why didn't GM install a min. of 400 HP and a 4:10 axle in these SS's anyway. I mean damn it man, its a specialty truck! Give us what we pay for. Now I have to put down 600 duckies to install a 4:10, what a drag.

if you got a tune from PCM4less then i would return the tune for money since he ****ed it up.

they ****ed mine up so bad that the shift point was 6500 like i wnated but set the rev limiter to 6k. now tell me how a truck is suppose to shift WOT like that. that was just one thing on the topic of poor experience with them

im confused. your sig says you have a tune from frank at revolution raceworks but you keep referring to a tune from brian at pcm4less? which is it?

edit: not confused anymore. i see who has the pcm4less tune.

Edited by rivierakid55 (see edit history)