1st gear on a SSS 2wd

1 Fast SS

im confused.  your sig says you have a tune from frank at revolution raceworks but you keep referring to a tune from brian at pcm4less?  which is it?

edit:  not confused anymore.  i see who has the pcm4less tune.

Hello!!! Are you awake now? HA HA

I also have an 06 SSS and installed my new pcm today tuned by Bryan and I called him about that and he said he hasn't been able to come up with a solution to stop that bog down from the get go but it was rainy outside here so the streets are a little slippery which maybe causing it to exagerate a little. But 2nd gear more than makes up for it. :driving:

hahahaha sucker, sorry but you delt with him.

you shouldnt have any bog what so ever from a launch if the tune is correct but if tune is off i can easily see that. and since you got the poor tune from bryan you get what you paid for and thats absolute garbage. you were better off with a stock tune

Maybe garbage but from the time I have been a part of this forum Zippy and PCM4Less tunes have been the ones most highly reccommended. This is the first negative feed back I have seen about Bryan. He has been nothing but helpful to me. Zippy I was interested in his tunes as well but he never returned any of my e-mails.

Putting 4.10's in will have next to zero effect on improving a "split second bog". It sounds like a tune issue to me. A higher stall converter will help by getting you higher in the rpm's and therefore spinning you through the poor fuel/air raito problem. I do think the Volant does contribute a little to the problem.

How big of a jump are the other guys getting on you. If it's a truck length then it more than a split second bog problem caused by the Volant. It may be a throttle position sensor issue. My 03 had a slow 60' issue that was cured by the tbtc. I think you would be better off keeping the 3.73's, they pull better after getting out a ways, and going with a torque converter.

Maybe someone can help. I have a 06' SSS 2wd, and my first gear really sucks. The SSS is suppose to be a launch monster. I've been testing my launch, but nothing seems to help. I've got a custom tune, but I can't remember if it did this before the tune or if it was after I installed my Volant CAI. I've won all my races from 3 to 10 trucks, but they always get the jump on me. WTH?

Here's what I do:

I'll get the rpms up to about 1800 or so while doing a brake TQ with the TC on. It will bog for a split second and then launch. I've even tried it with the TC off, still the same thing. I cleaned my Volant filter which was dirty, but it still does it. I just thought of something while typing. I installed a custom ram air from the Volant to the air dam. Do you guys think it may not be getting enough air into the system off the line? I'll try and take it off, and see what happens. Some of you have suggested that it might be in the TQ management, but my tuner says no. What do you think?

? are you putting the shifter in 1st ,and if you are is the TC light coming on ?

try this

move the shifter to 3rd and turn TC off .see if there is a differance,

if it is in the 1 st posistion and you power brake ,it is taking off in second so you feel like its boggin down but its not

I also have an 06 SSS and installed my new pcm today tuned by Bryan and I called him about that and he said he hasn't been able to come up with a solution to stop that bog down from the get go but it was rainy outside here so the streets are a little slippery which maybe causing it to exagerate a little. But 2nd gear more than makes up for it. :driving:

you shouldnt have any bog what so ever from a launch if the tune is correct but if tune is off i can easily see that. and since you got the poor tune from bryan you get what you paid for and thats absolute garbage. you were better off with a stock tune

Maybe garbage but from the time I have been a part of this forum Zippy and PCM4Less tunes have been the ones most highly reccommended. This is the first negative feed back I have seen about Bryan. He has been nothing but helpful to me. Zippy I was interested in his tunes as well but he never returned any of my e-mails.

do you know what to look for on a tune? i can post or send a copy of the tune file he did. it was garbage. most of you have near stock rides. nothing out of normal. i had a setup thta he just ****ed up. sorry anyone setting a rev limiter at 6k and a 6500 shift point is no clue, also he **** it up so the truck's PCM would never set it self for emission standards. i could go on

i wouldnt have PCM4Less tune my lawnmower

do you know what to look for on a tune? i can post or send a copy of the tune file he did. it was garbage. most of you have near stock rides. nothing out of normal. i had a setup thta he just ****ed up. sorry anyone setting a rev limiter at 6k and a 6500 shift point is no clue, also he **** it up so the truck's PCM would never set it self for emission standards. i could go on

i wouldnt have PCM4Less tune my lawnmower

Feel free to pm it to me I would like to see if a novice could make any since of it. Sorry you had a bad experience but today my truck is tearing off and responding better and better. Yesterday when I tried it out was 5 minutes after I did the security relearn and the idol hasnt even gone down yet he aid 25 -50 miles. I guess with eveything not all are going to have good experiences lord knows I have had a few bad ones from reputable people. It happens

Putting 4.10's in will have next to zero effect on improving a "split second bog". It sounds like a tune issue to me. A higher stall converter will help by getting you higher in the rpm's and therefore spinning you through the poor fuel/air raito problem.  I do think the Volant does contribute a little to the problem.

How big of a jump are the other guys getting on you. If it's a truck length then it more than a split second bog problem caused by the Volant. It may be a throttle position sensor issue. My 03 had a slow 60' issue that was cured by the tbtc. I think you would be better off keeping the 3.73's, they pull better after getting out a ways, and going with a torque converter.

Maybe someone can help. I have a 06' SSS 2wd, and my first gear really sucks. The SSS is suppose to be a launch monster. I've been testing my launch, but nothing seems to help. I've got a custom tune, but I can't remember if it did this before the tune or if it was after I installed my Volant CAI. I've won all my races from 3 to 10 trucks, but they always get the jump on me. WTH?

Here's what I do:

I'll get the rpms up to about 1800 or so while doing a brake TQ with the TC on. It will bog for a split second and then launch. I've even tried it with the TC off, still the same thing. I cleaned my Volant filter which was dirty, but it still does it. I just thought of something while typing. I installed a custom ram air from the Volant to the air dam. Do you guys think it may not be getting enough air into the system off the line? I'll try and take it off, and see what happens. Some of you have suggested that it might be in the TQ management, but my tuner says no. What do you think?

? are you putting the shifter in 1st ,and if you are is the TC light coming on ?

try this

move the shifter to 3rd and turn TC off .see if there is a differance,

if it is in the 1 st posistion and you power brake ,it is taking off in second so you feel like its boggin down but its not

Let me try to explain and picture being in the truck: I know the SS and VHO guys know what I'm talking about. When I launch (with the TC on), it will take off for about 1/2 foot, half a wheel spin, TC kicks in, and a slight bog will accure. Just enough for the nose to come down, and then take off. I don't think its 1st gear, I think it has something to do with the TC, Volant, or the air/fuel delivery at take off. I'm in drive when I do this, not in 2nd gear. I'll try the 1st gear with the TC off though, and see what happens. I think the Volant may have alittle to do with it. All CAI's will bog alittle, won't they? Just because of the amount of air coming in.

When I'm racing other trucks, they only get about a half truck, not much, but enough to piss me off, that I lost off the line.

Frank from Revolution raceworks did my tune, and I trust him with it. The truck is much faster after his tune, but like I said in some of my other posts, he did a mild tune for me, it wasn't to agressive, YET.

I guess I'm expecting a truck that will be like a drag car that has a 4 link set up with slicks and a 4:56 axle, but understand that I won't get that. I just can't figure out that damn bog!

all i know is i mine is 2wd and if i launched with tc on mine would basically do the same. if i launch without it off it will spin the tires for days with no lag. i highly doubt that the amount of air the volant produces is that greater than my outlaw even with the cold air scoop. even so there shouldnt be this lag when you mash the throttle with tc off.

If you're noticing a bog with traction control on, just after a bit of wheelspin, then it should be no question that the TC is the problem.

If it's a bog that is not associated with wheelspin and/or traction control is disabled, and the bog is associated with a rapid change in throttle, there's a good chance that the "problem" is burst knock retard. It is one of the major complaints on tahoes that I tune and can be remedied fairly easily. One concern about remedying it is that you need to be sure that you're not only running 91+ octane, but good quality gas at that.

It must be the TC, because today I tried what one of the guys said. I put it in first gear, and the TC automatically turns "off". It launched much, much better, NO BOG. It also burned the tires up taking off, so I tried it without so much throttle and it was pretty good. It put me back in my seat! I just have Frank work on my TC in the tune, but until then, I'll work on my launch.

Thanks for all your replies guys, it helped.

By the way rivierakid55, why do you say the Outlaw draws more air then the volant? How do you know this?