nascar!!

well i thought i have made up my mind in deciding what i want to do with my life, and i was going for civil eng. next year, but i was thinking about working for nascar. not as pit crew but as like a engineer for them. most of the guys that work their have degrees in engineering. plus nascar is like a multi million dollar industry(probably more) .so who they have working and designing the cars must get paid good. plus its somethin i would love to do, work/ design fast cars for a industry that keeps growing every year. i know there is a member that works for banks. and i saw a post of a truck he did, and thats what i want to do, work like that. so does anyone know a path to go for this? anyone work for them? love to hear input. i know uti has a program with nascar but thats in conjuction with another auto course. its like an elective(from what i was told). plus with a engieering degree i would hope i would be higher placed on the pole than a kid who just wanted to work their. please help me out and point me in the right direction. graduation is coming fast and i stiill dont know what to do.!!!! :banghead::banghead:

Well it sounds like you have all the right Ideas. I am the one who works for Banks in their R&D/Race shop, I went to school at Wyoming Technical Institute and I had kinda been in and out of jobs for the first couple of years after graduating WyoTech but thats because I really didn't know what I wanted to do. I worked as a fabricator right out of school at Devious Customs building bagged and body dropped trucks which was fun, but that industry is so small there is never any real money to be made even if you were the owner of the business. I had seen them all struggle. I decided to try something different and applied for a job here at Banks as an exhaust prototype fabricator but never heard anything back so two weeks later I followed up and still never got an answer. So I took another job installing lift kits and drop kits in a little shop on just about any car or truck that someone would bring in. I hated that job with a passion even though the pay wasn't bad. I had, had an arguement with the owner one day about being able to take time off which really pissed me off because I hadn't missed a day or been late in a very long time and I couldn't have a damn day to myself. Well I got home that night and got a message asking to to come in for an interview at Banks. I was so excited I just took the day off anyways, which really pissed off the owner. Then I went in for the interview and was told the position I applied for was filled already :confused: Then they asked me if I would be interested in a position in the race shop :eek: I was like hell yeah. So I have been here ever since and I enjoy it very much.

All I am getting at is you just have to give it your all and set your mind to what you think you want and do the best you can to have something to show potential employers.

Well it sounds like you have all the right Ideas. I am the one who works for Banks in their R&D/Race shop, I went to school at Wyoming Technical Institute and I had kinda been in and out of jobs for the first couple of years after graduating WyoTech but thats because I really didn't know what I wanted to do. I worked as a fabricator right out of school at Devious Customs building bagged and body dropped trucks which was fun, but that industry is so small there is never any real money to be made even if you were the owner of the business. I had seen them all struggle. I decided to try something different and applied for a job here at Banks as an exhaust prototype fabricator but never heard anything back so two weeks later I followed up and still never got an answer. So I took another job installing lift kits and drop kits in a little shop on just about any car or truck that someone would bring in. I hated that job with a passion even though the pay wasn't bad. I had, had an arguement with the owner one day about being able to take time off which really pissed me off because I hadn't missed a day or been late in a very long time and I couldn't have a damn day to myself. Well I got home that night and got a message asking to to come in for an interview at Banks. I was so excited I just took the day off anyways, which really pissed off the owner. Then I went in for the interview and was told the position I applied for was filled already :confused: Then they asked me if I would be interested in a position in the race shop :eek: I was like hell yeah. So I have been here ever since and I enjoy it very much.

All I am getting at is you just have to give it your all and set your mind to what you think you want and do the best you can to have something to show potential employers.

i also graduated from wyotech and kinda bounced around from a few different hot rod shops and custom paint shops and was never really able to find a place i was happy with. now im working for Fender Bender International, custom truck parts shop in northern California and i absolutely love it. im doing sales for them and i really love it. i come from a fabrication and design background so its a little different not being in the shop grinding or welding but im still in the industry i want to be in and its very rewarding!

do what you want to do, its very rewarding!! good luck

• 2 weeks later...