quick HPT question

dounome

Hey guys I just got the 408 fired up and I can finally drive this thing home, but it is running really lean at idle. The LT is at 25 on bank 1 and 17 on bank 2. THe short is bouncing around 0 so Im not too concerned with that. My LM1 is showing 15.1. So I just wanted to ask if someone can point me in the right direction to add a little fuel for my idle just to get it home and get gomer to finish the tune. Thanks guys

Well I drove it home tow night ago now. It has been sitting at my other house in NJ for almost eight months. You want to talk about scary knowing that its lean and making a hour long drive on a new motor, oh well. It was showing 15.1 at idle and it stayed between 14.7 to 16.5 on the drive home. However when I go tinto it just a little coming onto the freeway I would say about 5K rpm it must have gone into to PE cause it dipped way down to 10.8 The entire tune is very rough right now until Gomer can get in touch with me. BTW I just scaled the entire VE up by 17 to get it as rich as it was.

My only real concern with the motor right now is the noise it is producing, I hope its all valve train and maybe just needs some lifter preload or a small amount of slop. Im so used to hearing a blower whine that now I can hear all the small stuff!!!

Merry christmas Ric.

15.1 is fine IMO. In fact, with (I am assuming) a fat 408 cam in there and no FI, the motor will prefer to be running lean at idle. When I was N/A, I was running 14.8 at idle because it just seemed to run better with less surging.

If it really bothers you having a 15:1 idle AFR, you can always mess with the IAT and ECT adders to bump fueling. Being it is cool out, your tune may in fact have values in these tables for a warm summer day. :dunno:

Did you monitor the AFR as the engine warms up at idle or just check it cold?

So what was the issue with the TB? Inquiring minds want to know! :cheers:

Chase I just noticed something, your damn posting whore!!!!! I can not believe the amount of posts that you have.............    just had to bring that crap up

yeah it happens sometimes, but there are some with 2x as many posts as i have, when you answer the which exhaust is best threads all the time , i think that would account for half my posts. I coul dbe one that knows something and doesent post it though , but that wouldnt be much help now would it?

Merry christmas Ric.

15.1 is fine IMO.  In fact, with (I am assuming) a fat 408 cam in there and no FI, the motor will prefer to be running lean at idle.  When I was N/A, I was running 14.8 at idle because it just seemed to run better with less surging.

If it really bothers you having a 15:1 idle AFR, you can always mess with the IAT and ECT adders to bump fueling.  Being it is cool out, your tune may in fact have values in these tables for a warm summer day.  :dunno:

So what was the issue with the TB?  Inquiring minds want to know!  :cheers:

Hey Kevin Merry Christmas back at ya, what a nice day here in Pa considering. Thanks for the input on the idle AFR. My real concern is the noise the motor is making under cold start up, Im starting to wonder if I have a pinched oil pick o-ring? It is really bad at start up and then its just flat out noisy during the rest of the time. I really wish someone with more knowledge then myself could listen to it. Put it this way I don't feel good starting it!

Merry christmas Ric.

15.1 is fine IMO.  In fact, with (I am assuming) a fat 408 cam in there and no FI, the motor will prefer to be running lean at idle.  When I was N/A, I was running 14.8 at idle because it just seemed to run better with less surging.

If it really bothers you having a 15:1 idle AFR, you can always mess with the IAT and ECT adders to bump fueling.  Being it is cool out, your tune may in fact have values in these tables for a warm summer day.  :dunno:

So what was the issue with the TB?  Inquiring minds want to know!  :cheers:

Hey Kevin Merry Christmas back at ya, what a nice day here in Pa considering. Thanks for the input on the idle AFR. My real concern is the noise the motor is making under cold start up, Im starting to wonder if I have a pinched oil pick o-ring? It is really bad at start up and then its just flat out noisy during the rest of the time. I really wish someone with more knowledge then myself could listen to it. Put it this way I don't feel good starting it!

Post a vid if you can. We'll see if we can help! :thumbs:

I think Im going to pull the heads back off and maybe the pan also. I wanted to wait and talk with gomer (the man who built the motor) after the new year. This is such a HUGE bummer for me, this truck has been down for 9 months now.

BTW I have 40psi at idle and 60 during small revs, good fuel press, the only thing that needs changed is the plug gap TR55 at .35 need to be re-gapped to 55