Front Diff Whine

Hello All,

I've always had the front diff whine on full crank turns and the stealership could never hear it. Now I am at 40K miles and am getting a lot of whine at all speeds, turning or not. Any thoughts on if they will warranty this? :sigh: Maybe I could call the 800 number? My truck is lowered; not that the two are related but are they gonna scape goat on that and tell me to pound sand? Thanks.

i highly doubt you will get it warrantied being 40 k miles and being lowered, you must drive alot to have that many miles already  :driving:

Crapper... I was afraid of that. Wonder what kind of cost I am looking at. Oh, the life of a traveling sales rep... I don't want to rack up the miles on my M5 as that has collector potential.

I work at a dealer, here's what you need to do. First, make sure it is the dealer you bought it from, you have more pull there. Call them or go by, go straight to the Service Manager. Be nice, don't show your butt yet. You already have documentation of where you took it in with a concern before right? The dealers have authorization to "Goodwill" warranty past the 3/36. Most reputable dealers can go as much as 5/60 without even calling GM for approval. Don't let them know you know this. The only thing that might hurt you is the fact that it is lowered, which should not put any more stress on the front diff. maybe the axles, but that would be it. Was it lowered before when you took it in with the first noise? If not you have proof it was noisey before it got lowered. If all else fails, pitch a damn fit, call GM Customer Service and tell them you have owned numerous GM vehicles and will start buying Fords if they can't stand behind their products. The old saying is, the squeaky wheel gets the grease, so show your a$$ if you have to, they will pay for it. Now they might agree to pay for half, or pay for parts and you pay labor, or some other combination like that. I think if you stand your ground they will cover it all. Hope this helps.

Edited by CNE (see edit history)

My 04 made alot of noise then the dealer replaced it and it was actually worse. :banghead: I sold the truck and bought an 05. No noise yet but I do alot of city driving and turning and I know thats will wear it faster.

So does anyone know the cost or a how to beef up the front diff. so it doesn't make the whining noise.

I work at a dealer, here's what you need to do. First, make sure it is the dealer you bought it from, you have more pull there. Call them or go by, go straight to the Service Manager. Be nice, don't show your butt yet. You already have documentation of where you took it in with a concern before right? The dealers have authorization to "Goodwill" warranty past the 3/36. Most reputable dealers can go as much as 5/60 without even calling GM for approval. Don't let them know you know this. The only thing that might hurt you is the fact that it is lowered, which should not put any more stress on the front diff. maybe the axles, but that would be it. Was it lowered before when you took it in with the first noise? If not you have proof it was noisey before it got lowered. If all else fails, pitch a damn fit, call GM Customer Service and tell them you have owned numerous GM vehicles and will start buying Fords if they can't stand behind their products. The old saying is, the squeaky wheel gets the grease, so show your a$$ if you have to, they will pay for it. Now they might agree to pay for half, or pay for parts and you pay labor, or some other combination like that. I think if you stand your ground they will cover it all. Hope this helps.

Great stuff man... I will know more on Thursday when I take it in. I appreciate the input!

Does it make a grinding noise? my front seems to do this every now and again. I've got 51K on the clock and soon will be adding more HP :devil: . I don't want the front to fall apart just yet.

No grinding just a very low volume "whirring/whining" sound.

My 04 made alot of noise then the dealer replaced it and it was actually worse. :banghead:  I sold the truck and bought an 05. No noise yet but I do alot of city driving and turning and I know thats will wear it faster.

So does anyone know the cost or a how to beef up the front diff. so it doesn't make the whining noise.

I got mine replaced under warranty a couple of years ago. The cost on the paperwork was $901.22 for parts and labor. Just to let you know the P/N of the front diff/axle is 015123421. Keep in mind that I have an 03. I had my work order scanned and converted to a PDF file if you are intrested. I have emailed it to a couple of members to take to the dealership to show that this is a wide spread problem and that they are not making anything up.

BTW, no noise and going on 35000 miles since replacement.

Edited by edessa (see edit history)

:withstupid: This does work, as I also work in a dealer.