Portable air compressors

fox_forma

Just curious about what everyone who owns one has. I'm not looking for the biggest most expensive unit out there but rather something for simple use. It would be a huge help for me when disassembling my ATV's and bikes and even doing some work on my truck to speed things up, maybe even when changing wheels over or something. What should I look for in a tank size and pressure it can put out? Only reason I really bring this up is cause my mom actually had bought me a small air compressor for X-mas cause I was always bitching about how the littlest job tuned into a nightmare. Only she didnt know better and the tank is pretty small and doesnt seem to flow a lot. Its more meant for little things like a nail gun and filling up tires. Just thought someone may have some insight for me. Thanks guys

well most air tools recommend 90 psi. so a comp. with an output of at least that, but if you go more you'll need a regulator to keep it at about 90. i use ingersol-rand air tools at work so i would imagine that their air compressors would be good. and i wouldn't rule out craftsman either. or you could always get what i got.

51707.JPG

its good for 350 ft. lbs but its 500 bones.

Alan

Edited by wody (see edit history)

A couple of years ago my wife bought me a Sears Crftsman unit. It's a stand up 6HP, 30 gallon, that came with a half inch impact, 3/8 air rachet, and an air hammer on sale for $299. It works great for what I've done with it so far. Brake jobs, couple of hub bearings, cutting panels off, ect.

A couple of years ago my wife bought me a Sears Craftsman unit. It's a stand up 6HP, 30 gallon, that came with a half inch impact, 3/8 air rachet, and an air hammer on sale for $299. It works great for what I've done with it so far. Brake jobs, couple of hub bearings, cutting panels off, ect.

This is about the same Craftman unit I have, but mine is a touch smaller. It does great and came with a 3/8 rachet and hoses. I made a "T" connection out to my carport and just plug up out there to work on the cars. Go to Sears.com and look up this "Sears item #00916732000 Mfr. model #16732". This is about the smallest I would go with.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year,

CD

ok so 30gal would be the smallest to mess with then? I'll have to shoot over to sears and check it out. I was looking at some from harbor freight cause they seem to be pretty well priced for what you get as well.

This was one I was thinking about from Harbor Freight...

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=93351

or even a 21 gal, but the main thing that throws me off is the SCFM stuff

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=94667

This one also seems priced well for what you get, but like I said I dont know much really.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Disp...temnumber=47065

Edited by fox_forma (see edit history)

Just be carefull, because some stuff from Harbor Freight, and Northern Tool, you get what you pay for.

True but with harbor freight they normally have warrenty's for cheap where anything happens they will replace it for free. At least some of my power tools were like that

I have been researching air compressors for a good amount of time tonight and I think I am more lost now than I was when I first started. The Sears one for $300 seemed pretty decent but after reading several reviews it seems to be just ok and loud as shit. I guess any brand out there will have its followers and haters. Some people recommend like a $1500 unit just for an occasional weekend user. Anyone know anything about HUSKY brand compressors? This one seems like a sweet deal but I cant seem to find specs on it for the most part.... http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US...84+3966&pos=n24

Also from what everyone says I should stay away from oil less set-ups and go with an oil one. And to top it off if I want to run anything that has a higher HP motor, then I need to use a 220V circuit.

my dad has a stationary one in his garage, its one huge bitch, my dad owns a garage him adn his employes use it to feed an entire shop probably 160feet wide by 400 foot deep and thats a big shop area and almost every minute there air is being used and it has no problem keeping up im about 6ft 1 and lentght wides its about as tall as i am mybe taller and its about a 4ft diameter pipe so its decently big

as for psi he keeps his around 140psi the gauge says it can go to 210 but i would be kinda leary about doing that, shit i dont take anything past 100 psi you always gotta remember tools are only rated for so much psi before things start to break down inside them.

Don't focus on the PSI, look at the CFM ratings. I have a smaller 2.5 gallon compressor that can do 4 CFM, but it is not enough to run a ratchet for more than a couple seconds. Check the CFM requirments of air tools you want to use, then check that against the CFM capability of the compressor you are considering.

How do some air tools use a higher CFM yet some of the ones with smaller ratings produce more? I went and looked at that HUSKY model from Home Depot cause my local sears hardware was out of the compressor for $300 and the one at HOME Depot was like 4cfm at 90psi. It seems like a nice unit though and it comes with an Impact Gun, Air ratchet and a few other nice things and its on sale for $289. Being that low of a CFM rating at 90psi, are there other tools made to work at lower ratings yet have good tq numbers? The tools supplied looked like it would be enough for the jobs I do, its basically just for disassembly of ATV's and maybe some other small things like tire rotations/ wheel swap.

Also does the CFM at 40psi really matter that much cause all the air tools I've looked at seem to be measured at 90psi?