Any in-the-family brake upgrades?

Cop Magnet

Looking for advice on brake upgrades that won't "brake" the bank. For example, anyone make a kit to swap the larger front calipers and rotors to the rear? I know some of the Corvette guys do this, and then buy only an upgraded front set of Brembo's. What about Corvette brakes transferred to the truck line? Or stock brakes from a larger-duty GM truck?

Thanks in advance!

well the problem from transferring the other brakes from other gm's is the lug patterns arent the same, the 05+ truck have larger rotors/calipers up front but have drume in the rear so the front might be doable but the rears would be pointless . baer has a kit that is relativly cheap , it includes rotors and calipers or you can just get the rotors and caliper brackets to re use the stock calipers. just depends on your bank roll.

well the problem from transferring the other brakes from other gm's is the lug patterns arent the same, the 05+ truck have larger rotors/calipers up front but have drume in the rear so the front might be doable but the rears would be pointless . baer has a kit that is relativly cheap , it includes rotors and calipers or you can just get the rotors and caliper brackets to re use the stock calipers. just depends on your bank roll.

you mean 06+? that was one of the main reasons i hurried up to get an 05, was to have all the things an 06 wouldn't. i've got 4 way disc.

Alan

Edited by wody (see edit history)

you mean 06+? that was one of the main reasons i hurried up to get an 05, was to have all the things an 06 wouldn't. i've got 4 way disc.

Alan

i should rephrase that i beleive all the 05 2wd got the drums.

Yeah, the bankroll's the problem.

If mechanically a swap could be done, I am sure someone could drill a set of rotor blanks with the correct lug pattern. Bigger issues would be the offset of the disc, width of the hat, and a mounting location or adapter for the caliper. With all that, you'd be at the Baer setup.

Why do you think a front to rear swap (especially for those with drums on the rear) would be pointless?

Anyone have info on the new Silverado's brakes, their dimensional differences, and how they compare?

Edited by Cop Magnet (see edit history)

i meant switiching to the drums since you already have discs' beside the offset of the rear rotors is alot different than the fronts. give us a ball park on what you want to spend and we can go from there.

i meant switiching to the drums since you already have discs' beside the offset of the rear rotors is alot different than the fronts. give us a ball park on what you want to spend and we can go from there.

Man, Chase, I cannot believe how much you have in your truck! Just read your sig again and it blows my mind. The flames are wicked, too!

Money is a weird thing. You can always get it, so there is truly no upper limit. If anyone doubt's that, we wouldn't be on this or any other automotive forum. It's all about value, or perceived value, or the satisfaction of putting together different items and making something new work. Would I spend $1500 to do a Baer 1+, if I could have four-wheel set-up with nice calipers for $2k? Hell, no. Do I want to spend $2500 for front Brembo's and have stock rears. Um, no. Would I spend $2500 and put together huge drilled rotors, SS lines, and larger four or six piston powder-coated calipers all around? Maybe. Would I spend $4k? No.

If I could buy used GM parts off a bigger truck, and make them work on mine, especially for on-the-cheap, then I'm all over that. May not be Wildwood or Brembo, but the satisfaction of the deal and the money saved offsets the name on the caliper.

On my Viper, I bought a set of GenIII stock Brembo calipers and rotors for the front, a relocation bracket to put the front Brembo's on the rear, and a new parking brake caliper for the rear. With SS lines, rotors, the front calipers, parking brake, and pads, etc., I got four wheel four-piston Brembo's for $1800. The only thing I reused was the front calipers. That's what I am talking aboout. So you can see how the Baer relocation bracket and rotors, using stock calipers, seems bogus in comparison.

Will I regret spending tons of money and missing it for a month or two? Yeah, so? After a while it will be forgotten, but I'll still have my upgrade :D

Well being that your awd I would say the best cheapest way for you to get a decent upgrade is larger rotors and the only real benifit your going to see is s.s. lines and the baer eradi speed kit with the 14" rotors and caliper brackets. Other than that you could "try" a set of 2wd 05+ rotors and calipers but then your brake bias will be way off because the truck wasn't designed to have laerger rotors on the front than the rear, so I think you would be dissatisfied with the results and IMO on my 05 2wd VHO the stock brakes were better than my 04 AWD SS but not by much.

I know there was a company called KORE that was making hubs and rotors to fit biiger corvette brakes on other gm vehicles. I don't know if they could help out on this issue since I don't own a silverado yet. but I was going to buy a kit from them for my impala with 14 inch front rotors and 13.4 rear and they have 4 and 6 piston calipers and the price is significantly cheaper than a baer upgrade for the same car. again I was getting this stuff for an Impala I don't know if any of this applies for the truck. but maybe that could be a starting place for you.