Zippy or PCMforless?

AggieSS

Hello guys, I just bought a 2005 SSS that had some modifications already done. I don't think I will be adding anymore engine or performance modifications to the truck as it already has everything that I think I need. I bought the truck with a Volant intake, Bassani headers and Bassani exhaust. I have read a lot on this board and have come to the conclusion that a handheld device doesnt do much. Am I correct in this assumption?

I have read a lot of posts about doing a zippy or pcmforless tune. I just have a couple of questions.

1. Is there anybody in Texas that can do a face-to-face tune?

2. If not, who should I go with for a mail order tune? I pretty much no close to nothing about engines/working on my truck, and I dont think I have too many mods on it so I am assuming that a mail order tune for my truck should be fine.

3. If you think I should be fine with a mail order tune, who would you recommend?

4. Do I need to kjeep my stock PCM for any reason or wil lthe new tune give me both horsepower AND MPG gains?

5. What are some reason people keep there stock PCM? I mean if the tune gives me both more horsepower and mpg, then are there any drawbacks such as the truck running different?

thanks for all your help

ardi

Hello guys, I just bought a 2005 SSS that had some modifications already done. I don't think I will be adding anymore engine or performance modifications to the truck as it already has everything that I think I need. I bought the truck with a Volant intake, Bassani headers and Bassani exhaust. I have read a lot on this board and have come to the conclusion that a handheld device doesnt do much. Am I correct in this assumption?

I have read a lot of posts about doing a zippy or pcmforless tune. I just have a couple of questions.

1. Is there anybody in Texas that can do a face-to-face tune?

2. If not, who should I go with for a mail order tune? I pretty much no close to nothing about engines/working on my truck, and I dont think I have too many mods on it so I am assuming that a mail order tune for my truck should be fine.

3. If you think I should be fine with a mail order tune, who would you recommend?

4. Do I need to kjeep my stock PCM for any reason or wil lthe new tune give me both horsepower AND MPG gains?

5. What are some reason people keep there stock PCM? I mean if the tune gives me both more horsepower and mpg, then are there any drawbacks such as the truck running different?

thanks for all your help

ardi

I dunno any body in Texas that does face to face tunes but I am sure there is somewhere :dunno: and as far as mail order tunes go it is all in who you ask you know what they say about opinions. I have a PCM4Less tune and am very happy with it. I also have a Hypertec Power Programmer and used that first and I can tell a def. improvement with the mail order tune than programmer in how the truck runs. They can fine tune things with proven data and really the more mods you add you will want to get a retune so your truck will respond better but the good news is upgrade are like $50 with Bryan dunno about anyone else. It is proven with high octane gas 30+RWHP gains and like 1-1.5 MPG increase. I kept my stock PCM for just incase I need to send in my PCM for an upgrade or whatnot I haveone I can put in my truck for the time being. PCM4Less will give you a core charge refund if you return your original PCM to him or just keep it and he will use the core charge to purchase another one. :thumbs:

I will be passing though texas later this month and at some point next month too I am moving from IL to Las vegas so I am taking out my VHO and my black blown s10 later on..

I can probobly meet up with you when I am down there to do a face to face if you would like.

If my site was up...( it's down for a revamp) you would see that I am supported by Zippy's tuning and he has schooled me pretty well with tuning so far.

Send a PM to Zippy and I think he can fix you up with no problem. Didn't see what part of Texas your are in, but Allan Nelson http://www.nelsonperformance.com/ can do a face to face tune for you also. There are many good LS1 shops in the Dallas, Fort Worth area. Check around on Performancetrucks.net and LS1Tech.com and you will find many places that can help you.

Enjoy the SS !!

CD

I will be passing though texas later this month and at some point next month too I am moving from IL to Las vegas so I am taking out my VHO and my black blown s10 later on..

I can probobly meet up with you when I am down there to do a face to face if you would like.

If my site was up...( it's down for a revamp) you would see that I am supported by Zippy's tuning and he has schooled me pretty well with tuning so far.

What does VHO stand for?

Vortec High Output

Special performance edition silverado. Basically an SS in 2wd form but with no body cladding and chrome bumpers..

I am running dart heads a comp cam and in a few weeks a D1sc procharger 10 psi intercooled.. making a while lot more than just high output.

if my site wasn't down right now I would post pics but if you look at Jonmalibuss' truck its basically the same thing only mine is red and grey and pretty far from stock.

What does VHO stand for?

Its a GMC VHO basically like a cousin to the SS :thumbs:Look a little bit lower on the discussion board and there is a non silverado ss section which deals with the VHO. V max

Edited by brobradh77 (see edit history)

Vortec High Output

Special performance edition silverado. Basically an SS in 2wd form but with no body cladding and chrome bumpers..

I am running dart heads a comp cam and in a few weeks a D1sc procharger 10 psi intercooled.. making a while lot more than just high output.

if my site wasn't down right now I would post pics but if you look at Jonmalibuss' truck its basically the same thing only mine is red and grey and pretty far from stock.

Can you tell me what a cam does to the perfomormance of the truck, how much it costs and how much to install and what sort of gains you get from having one?

thanks

Vortec High Output

I have a zippy tune and am very happy with it. I would let Frank (RevolutionRaceWorks) work on mine anytime. :cheers:

Vortec High Output

Can you tell me what a cam does to the perfomormance of the truck, how much it costs and how much to install and what sort of gains you get from having one?

thanks

you MAY not be able to find the exact answers you are looking for with the search, but you can find some good leads as to where to get the answers. but like chase said you got to read.

Edited by wody (see edit history)

Motorsport Technologies in Houston, TX does sme of the best Dyno tunes around in my opinion. they just did mine about 3 days ago and i wouldn't have it any other way. They definitley get my vote. :smash:

Here are my Sheets. Bear in mind i have a 5.3L Sierra

Curve By RPM

065029.jpg

Curve By Speed

064904.jpg

Baseline Chart

064939.jpg

Tuned Chart

065006.jpg

visit there website a www.motorsporttech.com

they will do you right. I had to wait a while because they were taken a long time on a 455ci GTO so they gave me a discount.

You have one post and you are sporting some guy who no one on the forum has ever heard of..

Those are great numbers sure but.. you might want to make some more posts before you start recomending anyone.. no offence but no one knows who you are.

Motorsport Technologies in Houston, TX does sme of the best Dyno tunes around in my opinion. they just did mine about 3 days ago and i wouldn't have it any other way. They definitley get my vote.  :smash:

Here are my Sheets. Bear in mind i have a 5.3L Sierra

Curve By RPM

065029.jpg

Curve By Speed

064904.jpg

Baseline Chart

064939.jpg

Tuned Chart

065006.jpg

visit there website a www.motorsporttech.com

they will do you right. I had to wait a while because they were taken a long time on a 455ci GTO so they gave me a discount.

i'm def. gonna look into this place