What type of buffer?

I'm wanting to buy a buffer to use to get swirl marks out of my truck. I've never used one before so i need something a beginner could use. I looked at advanced auto part's and they had a 10 inch waxer and polisher but it looks kinda cheap it rotates at 2500 RPM's. Would this be powerful enough and would it work. I also looked at an orbital sander/polisher that rotated at 12,000 opm what does that mean and would it work for what i want? I looked at profesional buffer's on the net but they are like 200 bucks i would rather not pay that. Someone help me out.

I bought a random orbital buffer from Griot's Garage I have had nothing but good results with it in the last 2 month's. (I've detailed about 4 vehicles with it since I've gotten it.) If you get the Machine Polish and Wax kit with the orbital buffer, they will send you some polishing pad's, waxing pad's, some polish, some wax, clay bar, quick detail and a little booklet on how to use the orbital properly. I think all of that was around $200. IMO the orbital is the only way to go, and if you are a beginner, I wouldn't be worried about the how high the RPM's go, since at those higher revs you can burn through your paint alot quicker (with the traditional style rotational buffer.) It is almost impossible to burn through paint with a Random Orbital.

hope all my rambling on and on helps ya out!

:withstupid: I've got a Porter Cable orbital polisher and it works well on everything but the most stubborn paint blemishes, and it's damn-near idiot proof and impossible to burn the paint. OTOH to really get that show car shine you will need the rotary buffer but 2500-rpm is *way* too fast; if memory serves you work at between 1000 and 1800-rpm but I might be mistaken.

Bottom line - for daily driver I would get the random orbital and use it 2-3 times a year and the truck will be fantastic, and for the spots that need more agressive treatment just go to a body shop and pay them a couple bucks to spot-buff wherever is necessary with a rotary buffer and then you can finish it out with your random orbital buffer.

Mr. P. :)

Edited by misterp (see edit history)