Buffing tips.

I just got me a multy speed orbital buffer from our local auto body shop supplier. I also got a light polish to buff out the swirl marks and fine scratches and i've never done this before. I just need some direction. Any tips or advice is appriciated.

If your paint is fairly new, stay away from buffers if you don't know how to use it.

I did it to mine and all I got was a lot of swirl marks wich, after that i had to find a way to remove them but i finally did.I had to buy a swirl mark remover wich is called>>>>MALCO the choice of the pros.part #190232.it brought bakc the shine to my truck and removed all the marks.

So, that is just me...but if want to try it just be carefull how you do it. :chevy:

Edited by silverado05ss (see edit history)

Sorry to be at a loss here but I'm not familiar with orbital buffers, I use the Porter Cable polisher and the way it gets the job done is very different from a high-speed orbital buffer. I do know that choice of speed, pad, & polishing compound are critical and that done correctly gives the best possible result but I just don't know enough to give specifics.

Mr. P.

Sorry to be at a loss here but I'm not familiar with orbital buffers, I use the Porter Cable polisher and the way it gets the job done is very different from a high-speed orbital buffer. I do know that choice of speed, pad, & polishing compound are critical and that done correctly gives the best possible result but I just don't know enough to give specifics.

Guess i'll find an old junker or some old body pannels to practice with. I'm not in any hurry that way i don't mess my truck up. Thanks for the reply P your opinion is alway's well respected on these kind of topics or any topic as far as that goes. :thumbs:

This is 3M's advice -

...As a starting point, for the ultimate finish use a 3M 5703 or 5704 wool cutting pad using the 3M detailing compound #308 to remove oxidation, coarse scratches, and stains; in the second step, use a 3M 5725 foam polishing pad with 3M detail polish #108 to remove swirls and bring up the best possible finish.  This is the best system available for special cars or special customers...

Mr. P. :)

I believe, this is just my opinion, that 3M offers some of the finest paint care products out there. I would start by purchasing some HIGH QUALITY buffing pads, foam would be best. However foam pads are not meant to cut, neither is an orbital buffer. Before you start, use some paint cleaning clay (follow directions carefully) and clean the paint thuroughly. Then start out with the more coarse compounds and work your way up to the fine compounds or swirl mark remover. (I use 3M Perfect It Finishing Glaze) and then top it all off with some quality carnuba wax. ( I recommend Meguires Gold Class, easy on/off and generally lasts longer than other store bought waxes.) Be sure to use one pad for each compound. To remove compounds use 100% cotton terry cloth's or micro fiber cloth's. (t-shirts and old towels will remove the compound(s) but may scratch the clear coat, which defeats the whole purpose of the buff.)

You get out of your paint what you put into it. If you buy run of the mill products and put little effort into what you are doing, your results will reflect that.

As far as applying compounds and wax, a little goes a long ways. Once you have prepared your paint, start with a small area and continue to work in small area's throughout the whole vehicle. Apply a dime sized amount of compound to the center of the pad, and place the buffer on the panel you wish to buff. Be sure not to start the buffer until the pad has made contact with the paint or your compound will fling off and your will do more harm than good. Turn on the machine and work the wax/compound in a back and forth motion like an S. You will do this in about a 2'x2' area cris crossing your passes. (side to side, then up and down.) Be sure to cover the area 5-7 times with the machine. Follow the directions on the compound/wax and remove as directed. Repeat the process until you have buffed the entire vehicle. Once you are done buffing with compounds you can do the same as above with a quality wax or you can apply by hand. (I prefer to do this by hand.)

I am NOT a professional, I am recommending what to do on the basis of my knowledge and what I have been taught. So take what I have said and find what works for you. Good luck!

-Cody