Look what I did (lq9 carnage)

04CHASE

I had some free time so i started taking the lq9 out yesterday. I hit a couple roadblocks so i finished it up today. The crank was frozen solid, we couldnt get the torque converter bolts out so we had to drop the front diff followed by the oil pan it was a pita to try free up the crank so it would spin. Here is where we got the oil pan off and we found this ......

DSC01872.jpg

DSC01873.jpg

DSC01874.jpg

DSC01875.jpg

i knew it was looking bad after this. nto to mention i was hoping on possibly salvaging the heads but no they are paperweights .(ugly ones at that) i couldnt beleive how bad my motor was. i was just laughing the whole time as pieces of metal came off everytime we would move it. i think the only thing that may be able to used again is the oil pan and that is going to take alot of cleaning just to get all of the metal out of it.

here is a side shot of the block

DSC01876.jpg

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

and here are the rest.

DSC01877.jpg

DSC01878.jpg

DSC01879.jpg

DSC01880.jpg

DSC01881.jpg

DSC01882.jpg

DSC01883.jpg

DSC01884.jpg

DSC01885.jpg

DSC01886.jpg

pretty nice. this all happened withing a matter of 2-3 seconds , we were runnign about 10 psi and 17 degrees of timing, this happened at 5000 rpms off a launch in first gear the afr was almost dead on @ 11.8 . i would have been alot more pissed if it were a rod bolt that failed because i probably could have prevented that. I just hope this to be a learnign lesson. Hopefully many will see more than 10 psi on a stock lq9 isnt a wise idea. i really wish i would have finished my other motor before i completly destroyed this one. but oh well shit happens.

I blew up my 06 R6 racebike last year, looked very similar. All I could do was laugh also when I turned the motor over and the pieces fell to the ground. Funny what 16200 rpm will do to a motor.

Good luck with the new motor, we all know that you will build it right. $$$$$ :P

Wiz