Stock M.A.F removed screen

KaOs5582

I removed the screen from the MAF last night, cleaned the K&N Filter, but 2 Humid last night 2 really get at it. They told me it's basically like getting an aftermarket MAF Sensor thats $200-$300. Has anyone else done it?

by removing your screen wouldn't that allow more trash to get inside your intake and motor?

Removing the MAF screen is not the best idea and after market MAF do not work as claimed. Put it back in. The screen's purpose is two fold, one to prevent larger objects from hitting the MAF sensor (this normally shouldnt be an issue because of the upstream air filter...but it has happened in the past) and it also streamlines the air going into the intake (very important for the MAF sensor to get an accurate reading of air passing through it). Put it back in, you are seeing like maybe .5hp from it...seriously...

Edited by Black2003SS (see edit history)

De-screening is a bad thing, it really "dirties" up the MAF signal. Check this image I made from two logs comparing a screened vs de-screened.

Thats because the airflow is disrupted without the screen. We have done years of arguing whether it is good or not in the grand prix community. What we found is a direct corolation of blown engines vs. removed MAF screens. I removed mine ignorantly on my first GTP and blew that motor at 54k miles.

De-screening is a bad thing, it really "dirties" up the MAF signal. Check this image I made from two logs comparing a screened vs de-screened.

MAFvsD-MAF.gif

:withstupid:

nice images, btw. DSO or scan tool? What manufacturer?

Those are screengrabs from EFI Live V7.

i knew it wasnt a good idea but my friend removed mone because he thought it woul dhelp , i was pretty pissed about that but is there anyway to just buy a new screen without replacing the maf? i dont want to buy a new one but i want a screen back in it.